From Boulogne to Bordeaux!

Hi all can you help?

At the moment we are using the Speedferries crossing and on leaving Boulogne, we go through the town and onto the road from Calais heading for Paris. We then go round the ring road and under the runways for Charles De Gaulle Airport and then turn off on the sign that goes to Bordeaux. The rest is smooth sailing. Paris can be congested  and I was wondering if anyone uses a different route and can recommend it?

Cheers

Athene

On leaving Calais or Boulogne, we head south for Rouen, then on to Chartres and Orleans. Our destination is about a hundred miles east of you, but we avoid Paris like the plague.

Although Rouen can be busy it isn't in the same league as Paris.

We use www.theaa.com for routes and there are several others which I'm sure people will recommend.

Hoddy

[quote]On leaving Calais or Boulogne, we head south for Rouen, then on to Chartres and Orleans. Our destination is about a hundred miles east of you, but we avoid Paris like the plague.Although Rouen can be...[/quote]

Thanks Hoddy!

is this motorway or two way roads?

Not a bad route you go Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chatres the rejoin autoroutes north of orleans. From Dreux onwards there is no motorway but the road is usually good. Chatres though is awful. If you think of ring road as a clock you enter at 1 oclock position and exit a 4 oclock position but you have to go anti clockwise. I go through centre but you need to know where you are going.

Good luck

We use the same route as you, widnesbob.........anyone happen to know if that new bit of dual carriageway around Dreux (I think) has finally opened? In January, a bit had opened, and it did appear as though another bit had opened and then reclosed again! Can recommend that route overall, despite the "missing" bits of motorway.

Jane

We use the same route as you, widnesbob.........anyone happen to know if that new bit of dual carriageway around Dreux (I think) has finally opened? In January, a bit had opened, and it did appear as though another bit had opened and then reclosed again! Can recommend that route overall, despite the "missing" bits of motorway.

Jane

Well, we've always done the Periferique and so far have not encountered any problems, much easier than the North Circular! The first time was because I missed the A86 ringroad and we've done it everytime since, most recently last Tuesday at around 4pm. Avoid Paris at rushhour though!

7 and a half hours from Boulogne via Amiens, Paris, Orlean, Tours to north Charente (another two from us to Bordeaux). We did use mappy.fr at first but route is so easy we haven't bothered since.

Is there a good Les Routiers truck stop on this route though, we haven't found one - only costly services?

[quote]Well, we've always done the Periferique and so far have not encountered any problems, much easier than the North Circular! The first time was because I missed the A86 ringroad and we've done it everyt...[/quote]

Good Heavens Zeb! Les Routiers?

Remember we are British, get out the aged thermos filled with well stewed tea and the curly ham and tomato sandwiches! LOL! Athene

Some people are lucky with the periph., some aren't! We've so far been in the second category, but in any case haven't tried that route twice as it added an absolute fortune to the toll costs, which nobody seems to have mentioned so far! Can't remember exactly, bu we only did the Paris journey 1 way and it cost about an extra €20, I think!

Jane

Yes, the tolls are a bit steep and seem to bear no relation to what mappy says! (Thought Paris was toll free though). I think we paid around 35 - 40 euro each way but, as we only drive to the UK a couple of times a year, we don't mind as the autoroutes are excellent (even in the snow).

Also saved some money by using speedferries (with second trip next Christmas free) for 50 quid return.

And yes Athene, we saved even more money by having curly sandwiches. Only stopped to pee - at least that's free!

to go around paris on free dual carriageway after charles de gaul airport head for N104 which is like M25 in distance from paris but gives no hold -ups .

you rejoin the bordeau and orleans routes 40 miles south of paris.

use it year round despie adding a few extra miles at least you avoid traffic of perrific.

[quote]Yes, the tolls are a bit steep and seem to bear no relation to what mappy says! (Thought Paris was toll free though). I think we paid around 35 - 40 euro each way but, as we only drive to the UK a cou...[/quote]

Now Zeb, was this a 'French pee' up against a wall in full sight of all and sundry? No, I bet it wasn't! I think all these good men on this site who are ardently trying to integrate into the French way of life would not subscribe to the 'French pee' either! Maybe there would be money to be made running confidence boosting courses in this? What do you think?  

"to go around paris on free dual carriageway after charles de gaul airport head for N104 which is like M25 in distance from paris but gives no hold -ups ."

On a trip back to Calais the A10 (?) was closed for repairs S of Paris so we deviated onto the N104 - at one stage had visions of Switzerland but it is free, dual carriageway and pretty empty. Added miles and miles but not much time. On a Saturday in early August the journey from N Lot to Calais took only 8.5 hours elapsed time. Have used peripherique twice with no real holdups so maybe just lucky.

To quote outcast - we live in Frannce so there is no need to drive to Calais any more.

John

not