portsmouth - le havre

P&O is offering 24 hrs in France for £49 return & 72 hrs in France for £70 return. Book by 29 June travel by 30 June.

ALSO offering for £150 return limitless time in France. Book by 11 April travel by 31 December 2005.

Does this mean P&O are keeping Ports - LH open past September, it seems so!

Robin Wolf

And that's Easter weekend!!!  No wonder the Brittany ferries ad at the top of each page has changed to "tear across to Britanny from £29.95".  It used to say something about getting across to France for a family of 4 at Easter for £250 odd - so there'd be no takers for that with these new price war prices.

Everyone I've heard of that have used Speedferries have been pleased with the service provided for the money.  Their reputation should grow - I hope they don't go under with the ridiculous prices they're charging at the moment to try and fight the current price war!!!

I'm almost sorry I don't need to use ferries at the moment with the current cross Channel prices!

Coco, Southampton is brilliant for shopping.  Not only have you the out of town mega stores (M&S) at Hedge End between S'hampton and Portsmouth but there is also the new West Quay Centre in Southampton (John Lewis and all the major high street stores plus many speciality shops).  Prices are lower than in France for most non food items comparing quality with cost but apart from prices it's the choices available.  I visit Bordeaux fairly regularly where there is a good choice compared with more rural areas but I am always amazed at the lack of choice available whether it's for clothing, soft furnishings, furniture etc.  If you think your parents are crazy you will probably think it rather bizarre then that I am flying to Birmingham (another brilliant shopping area) from Bergerac for a five day shop till you drop all for the price of £80 inclusive thanks to Flybe!  The one thing my French friends and family miss about Britain is the shopping so we can't all be wrong...

I am using this route in April - as a foot passenger because our youngest daughter in getting married in July and I still have to get the Mother of the Bride outfit. Daughter lives in Portsmouth - so I will be spending three days going in ever increasing circles trying to buy The Outfit (West Quay and Hedge End here I come). Mr M will be doing eldest daughter's DIY for her as he refuses to shop with me!! All youngest daughter keeps saying is - "can we be Ladies Wot Lunch"!! Me thinks I will need at least three coffee stops plus lunch stop to keep me going as I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING!!!!! and we are only paying £24 squid return for the priviledge!! Happy Days!!!!

booked with p&o yesterday using the 75pound each way offer. they were adament the service to le harve was wrapping up completely in september, so bizzarre it is advertising the offer until december???????

• 1 month later...

We've just booked 2 weeks P&O Portsmouth to Le Havre in July for £150 return - they told us that there are only a certain number of tickets available at this price on each crossing, after which the price will slowly increase - same as on the 'no frills' airlines.

They also assured us that the last crossing to Le havre will be at the end of September.