Ferry from Cherbourg? Cheap deals?

Going back to blighty for the first time since moving over here and will most likely be taking the ferry from Cherbourg.

Not having a clue about ferry prices: does anyone know if their are any cheap deals from this port and whether there are any ticket restrictions (travelling within certain times etc)?

Will be leaving 20/21st of July and returning after a fifteen days or so.

Cheers for any help offered.

As you are talking about peak times, and travel is in the next two or three weeks, I don't think you'll find much in the way of cheap deals from Cherbourg. All you can do is try to travel on cheaper days (i.e. not weekends, Tuesdays are generally cheapest) and avoid overnight crossings if possible as these always carry a price premium.

I don't know how important it is to travel via Cherbourg. If saving money is more important then Boulogne (Speedferries) or Calais (Hoverspeed, buy via www.ferrysale.com) will probably work out cheaper, even with extra travel costs. If that's too far east then you should consider Dieppe (Transmanche) or Le Havre (P&O, which has some cheaper fares than those available via Cherbourg).

It may not be what you wanted to hear, but hope it helps anyway.

Thanks for that, I might be able to hold out until monday the 22nd for a cheaper price.

I wasn't expecting it to be cheap at the last minute - certainly expected it to be more expensive from wherever I chose to sail from!! As usual I'm waiting on what certain other people are doing, so might not have the chance to sail from elsewhere or choose another day.

Time to check the net.

Cheers again.

Well it's looking like LaHavre (spelling?) with P+O: much cheaper than Brittany ferries from Cherbourg. Suppose this has something to do with the fact that P+O have seemingly stopped working out of Cherbourg - presumably leaving Brittany to charge higher prices....

Hope the old Landy makes it.

don't give up on brittany, they do have good deals running at the moment, but it is better to phone up the uk and state what you want. lately i have found them much better than p&o on price, plus the flexibity of times with both cherbourg and caen. their price for a 5+ day crossing beats p&o, and try and find a friend who is a member to get the 15% guest discount..it all helps.  good luck.