Getting to Sanary sur Mer

Hello, I will be flying in to Marseille airport. I need to know how to get to Sanary sur Mer from Marseille airport preferably using public transport, bus/train etc?  I would also welcome comments on the place and if there are nicer places nearby. The idea is to spend a month there. Thanks   

Shuttle buses run every twenty minutes from the airport to Marseille Saint-Charles Rail Station and take about 25 minutes, and the Marseille-Toulon SNCF TER train stops at Sanury sur Mer, if that helps.

You can check actual times and prices, or make bookings on the SNCF website.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP

Thanks Cathy. Have you ever been to Sanary sur Mer?  The plan would be to rent somewhere for 1 month or so and move about using public transport. I saw the town on a BBC or UTV show called Sun, Sand and Antiques.  It looked fantastic?  I can pick up a two bed apt. overlooking the harbour for €50 per night off season to €100 per night high season. Is this about right for a rental?

Boxie

My husband is from Toulon and we always go to Sanary when we're visiting the family. It can get crowded, but it's a nice little place. Also,make sure you visit Bandol while you're there.  And, take the little boat that crosses the harbor to drop you off at the island of Bendor.  There's a wonderful restaurant in Bandol called Le Caveau, the same family has owned it for years and the food has always been terrific.

Here are some pictures of Bandol, Bendor and Sanary from my website, there are links there for the official websites of each place as well.

Have a wonderful time.

PG

Theres the Ollioules-Sanary gare, but it's about equidistant between the two towns and would be a pretty good walk, especially if you have a month's worth of luggage!  If you're going to rent a car, I would suggest your best option would be taking the train to Toulon and arranging to rent a car there, then driving to Sanary. It's only about 15 minutes or so by car.

PG

Well, I'm not a huge lover of Toulon. It's a large city (which I hate) and although they are making an effort these days to make it nicer, I find it a bit depressing, kind of like any big Naval city.

The pros of being there are that you have access to all the buses and trains going everywhere.  You can do a lot in downtown on foot.

However, if I didn't have family there (my in-laws live in a very nice flat right on the main town square) I wouldn't particularly go into the center of Toulon at all.  Once you're outside of it, in the Haut Var, you find some lovely villages though.

I think you would be better off in either Sanary, or my personal preference, Bandol.

PG

Thanks Possum girl.  I am travelling in two weeks time on a package to Aix En Provence with www.thetraveldepartment.ie this trip will give me a good feel for the area. Then hopefully we will take some longer time there as mentioned previously to avoid the dreadful weather here in Ireland. I am sitting in my study at the moment with my central heating on for the past 2.5 hours and I am still cold!!!.

You'll love Aix, Boxie.

We're in the Aude and went into Carcassonne this morning where the temperature was around 17 at 11 am.  Granted, I'm cheap, but we haven't had our central heat on for the last two weeks, just a little bit of electric radiator in our bedroom for an hour before bed!

PG