Dinard Airport

Good  morning

We're flying with Ryanair to Dinard from East Mids for Xmas with 2 boys (11 &13). Does anyone have any useful info about either airport or anything else related to our journey for that matter.

We arrive Friday21st December. Are the shops likely to be open as usual on Saturday22nd?

Wow, it's a bit hard to be thinking about Christmas already !!

Dinard is a small airport so passage through it is usually swift.  The only thing at that time of year is the weather can cause problems. The airport did close on a couple of occassion last year when it snowed. When this happened, incoming flights already en route were diverted to Nantes and others just cancelled (always a small risk with Ryanair).

Car hire pick-up is easy at the airport although if you book with someone other than the company Ryanair use (Hertz I think) you will get your car much quicker.

All shops will be open Friday, Saturday and all day Monday.  Only Christmas Day itself is a holiday in France and everything opens up again on the 26th. You are likely to find some Christmas markets open on Saturday 22nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert

My advice to you would be to make a mad dash from the aeroplane when you land and head straight for the Hertz car hire desk because the q's can be horrendous and the efficiency is beyond belief. You will be very lucky to complete the mountain of paperwork in the time it takes to fly the 300 mile trip .. BE WARNED !!!!!!!!

Kind Regards

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done the trip from East Midlands to Dinard with Ryanair.  Didn't get my car from Hertz but found a decent deal over the net using carhire3000.com and the paperwork was done at the National Citer desk.  The plane was full but there was no queue at that desk and we were out and off really quickly.  Dinard is very small but has a pub/restaurant/snacks place upstairs (and a lift for the luggage) if you arrive early to check in on the way back.  Both our flight left and arrived slightly early and I would have no hesitation using that route again.  Even for a group of 4 plus car hire it was still cheaper/quicker then BF.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing about Dinard is that its practically impossible to find a parking space to leave the car if you are just picking someone up. The car park seems to be full of dodgy looking english cars with no tax, which presumably people leave there and use as and when. Anybody else noticed this ? The same applies at Caen ferry port. I think the authorites need to have a purge of these car parks or introduce a daily charge. Cost me 12 quid to leave my car for the day at Portsmouth.

John

John,

Maybe its the day of the week you go but I flew out of Dinard on Thursday 8th June to Stansted and the carpark was probably less than 1/4 full.

A number of Brit registered cars agreed, whether they had expired tax I have no idea, I didn't look (why would I ?).

As I remember there is a charge at Dinard, but the first hour is free, presumably for people picking up  arriving passengers or being dropped off as in my case.

Regards

Last year we saw some really dodgy English cars and vans parked there!

Yet ,I suppose if you pay your parking fees up front there is no problem and those who don't, deserve to have their vehichles towed away !

I was there yesterday and the car park was virtually empty.

Still that red van though!

My daughter noticed that you could park up for a year but I had my eyes on the road and didn't see it.  I got caught by the new ticket machine in the car park which only takes cards so had to pay in the hall.  2€ for a couple of hours.  Most of the UK registered cars were picking up so when we came out after seeing the plane fly off, it was even emptier.

Back again Sunday.  I'm a saint.

Hi,

I have sent you a p.m.

With regads to Dinard airport we go there on a regular basis to collect family, freinds and clients and have never had any problems parking.

The first hour is free and with regards to the cars are you sure they are not registered in France? We drive a car with British plates and out of date tax disc, (which I shall remove today) because we have French insurance. We find it a simple and easy airport to use although my husband is moaning about the increase in the number of visitors since the new route opened! I don't hear him moan about the bacon and dairy milk though!

Best wishes for your trip at xmas.

Please rest assured that our car is perfectly legal, we no longer require UK road tax as the car has been exported. We pay full insurance over here. We also have an out of date university pass, work car park, etc which I have also removed this afternoon!

Please pm me if you want any further details!

If a car is exported, it should then  be  re-registered in France .

Technically it is illegal to drive a car that is not registered somewhere!.

I assume that you are in the process registration at the moment.

The correct way to have done it would to maintained UK tax until it had been moved to the  French register.

At the moment you have insurance on a car that no longer exists as its registration identity ceased when it was exported.

Thank you for your concern, we are fully aware of the process, and are presently awaiting French plates. Back to the original subject of Dinard airport, I actually collected the leaflet for AGF insurance there, who have ensured that I have remained legal throughout the re-registration process. I would highly recommend them. I am now going to spend some quality time with my family,

Best wishes,

Gillian Smith