eurotunnel question

At the auto check-ins, if you arrive early and there is room on an earlier train, when you bung in your card does it offer you the chance of paying the extra and travelling earlier? As I'm travelling with my cat I prefer not to hang about and would pay more if I could catch the first available train.

Thanks!

PS sorry this in the wrong place - tried to delete it and re-post in the forum above but it wouldn't let me!

In my experience they give you the option of earlier trains at the same price (even if they were dearer on the website). I've never been asked to pay more money but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The website says that they will try to get you on the next available train if you arrive 2 hours before or after your booked departure time.

So far I've not been charged for travelling on earlier trains even if it takes me into a different charge period. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Outside of busy times it is usually possible to go straight through to the loading area without waiting to be called and if there is space get on the next available train regardless of the booking letter issued at check in. At busier times attendants (quite reasonably) stop cars leaving the terminal area before their crossing is called so this trick won't work.

Thanks everyone! I doubt there's much chance of it tomorrow but I live in hope! I checked the bookings bit of the site earlier and there were still crossings for sale at earlier times, though. I'll check again before I depart in the morning. Now if the M1, M25 and M20 could just oblige by running smoothly....

I was suprised a few weeks ago.  I'd bought a ticket for a Tuesday afternoon, but due to circumstances I had to get to England for the Monday lunchtime.  Drove up to the man - he looked at my ticket, asked me to use the machine and even 28 hours too early wasn't charged anything extra.  And it was a 48 hour return!  I was expecting to pay an extra £200!  I would have gone direct to the boats except it was blowing a gale...

• 2 weeks later...
Oh well, needless to say the M1, M25, M20 did not run smoothly, but I still arrived at the auto check-in in time for my crossing.

So it was a tad frustrating when the machine didn't recognize my card or my booking number. Called a bloke over who tried them again. No dice. He buzzed the office who said "oh yeah, frequent travellers have got to check in at the terminal today". WHAT??? My rage knew no bounds. I refused - "I am not going in, I have a cat in the car that I can't leave in this heat and anyway I am booked on the train leaving in 20 minutes!"

They sheepishly performed some magic at the office and out came my hanger and up came the barrier... amazing what can be done if you stand your ground (and are blocking a check-in line).

Out of interest, since they ask for a mobile number so they can contact you en route, how come no text message to say 'check in at the terminal'?

Has anyone else had a problem with frequent traveller check-in recently?

"if you are blocking a checkin lane"

I've now taken to waiting at the entrance to the coned off run in to the check in lanes until I'm sure that the car in front can negotiate the auto check in machine. At least I then have the chance to change lanes. Today on our return we were behind a Swiss driver and the machine obviously would not take his credit card and I was able to divert into another lane. In another lane I saw a driver verbally abusing someone who was causing a hold up because they couldn't operate the system. There just aren't enough attendants to provide help to people who are having problems with the machines.

On a broader point - today must have been one of the busiest "return to the UK" days of the year. On the motorway to the ports almost every other car was a GB - but at the Eurotunnel terminal there seemed to be very little business. Is this a reflection that people don't want to book with a company in bankruptcy protection I wonder?

Is this a reflection that people don't want to book with a company in bankruptcy protection I wonder?

Probably just the fact that unless you are a frequent traveller or a regular Tesco customer, the other routes are still significantly cheaper.