SNCF

Have just used sncf for the first time, booking on line.  What a pleasure.  They have a special on at the moment "France for 10 euros"

go to voyages-sncf.com

Site is in English.  Managed to get a ticket, Cherbourg to Paris for 60 euros return, 1st class.  Found website really easy to use and you can print your tickets at home. 

Just going back now to see where else I can go.  At those prices it's cheaper than taking the car!

There are some good offers . with .SNCF ..Paris to La Rochelle in under 3 hours for  50 euros is good ..........Anybody know what a 34k  taxi ride is  likely to work out at ...roughly ?     Lots of Ryanair "  fly for one penny "  flights  on offer as well ...just pay the taxes . 

• 1 month later...
I tried the site yesterday evening and it "ran like a dog". Un-believably slow to the point of being unusable. I was wanting to compare TGVs to Paris from two local TGV stations. Apart from being too slow to used in practice, it also makes excessive use of cookies so, when I tried doing one station from one browser window and the other station in another browser window, the same station kept coming up in both !!

Think I will drive to the local station to check on times and prices. Only a 45 minute drive there (45 back) but should be much quicker than their web site.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
I just had a quick look.  Couldn't find anything at 10 euros but did find incredible deal to get from Paris to Montpellier in 3 hours, second class 35 euros and first class for only 39.90.  The problem is, you can't get home!!!  Even within the special offer period all the fares were normal 90-110 euro prices. [:(]  Thought perhaps I could nip down and deliver friends Christmas presents personally - but La Poste is still going to be cheaper![;-)]

For those who want to travel by train from UK and get the cheap "prem" fares from sncf, it is best too book the french end separately, from Lille (same station arr and dep) or Paris (if you really must !) on the web site as given, then book eurostar separately - if you try to book staight through from London to your French destination it will not find the cheap "prem" fares. Eurostar does get <some> good deals booking via them, but they have a smaller selection of routes available.  As I travel mainly at peak UK holiday times, being one of the great unwashed still working full time in the UK, I do not always get the best value fares, but it is still my preferred method of travel, costs often comparable with flying, and less stress - no "fight for your seat a la Ryanair"  for example, and each mainline station is nearer than the airport at each end!