crossing the channel from France

Next month we are putting our car on the train at Narbonne and travelling overnight to Calais. We now need to find a cheap crossing to Dover. It will be a Sunday in June and we have been told that we should be ready for the Channel crossing from about 10am. We are leaving the car in England and flying back so we only require a single. Any ideas? Might it be cheaper to buy a day return? The cheapest fare I can find (2 adults plus car) is a P and O single at £45 - leaving at 11.50 but then I am sure there are some experts out there who could do better. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Cheap Day Returns.

I read somewhere that Ferry companies can make you pay the full standard price if you only use it one way.  I'm sure if you rang them and explained that your car had broken down or something that would suffice. well how would they know.

It may well be cheaper to buy a day return, but P&O have that covered in their terms of business. If you do not use the return half then they will charge your card with the single fare for the day and time of travel. When, I last used the train from Narbonne they had an arrangement with the ferry companies for an inclusive rate which was heavily discounted. It may be worth checking if this option is still available or if not driving to Boulogne and using Speedferries may be a cheapest alternative.

Baz

Hi

Just seen your query. If you could get to Boulogne for 9.00 there is a 9.50 from Boulogne to Dover with Speedferries which costs £28.00 single. Vehicle + up to 5 passengers. See their website www.speedferries.com for timetable.  I selected Sunday 10th of June.

Good luck

David J

" Always on the ball"

45 quid seems pretty good to me.  I think you could shave a few quid off with Normandy Ferries from Dunkerque but you have a 20 minute drive from Calais, an extra 45 mins crossing time so not exactly worth it especially when the car-train has cost a few bob it would be a shame to ruin the end of your holiday.

Did you try Eurotunnel?  From my recent experiences Eurotunnel and Speedferries seem to offer the lowest fares.

In June I have found single fares on Eurotunnel for Euros 30, which is rather cheaper than pounds 45 on P&O.

David

David

It is advertised as a single fare but only sold on the basis that it is purchased as part of a return journey lasting no more than 36 hours, or to put it another way go out early one morning return late the next.

I use them frequently for flying visits.

Also beware of purchasing the two tickets and using only the outbound leg, if you do this (for any reason) they will debit your card with the difference between the 60 euros you have paid and the standard single fare of around 300 euros.

J.R.

Thank you very much, you are absolutely correct.  After reading your advice the cheapest single fare I can find is Euros 62 for an early morning crossing

You advice is even more timely as I had been planning a trip over based on Euros 30 each way, so back to the drawing board.  A 36 hour trip might be too fast as I have to go to Cambridge for a hospital appointment.

Again thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...