Cheap flights to Beziers

This rumour has been around for a few years now. The problem was with Bezier is that the runway was too short for the aircraft operated by most carriers. If the runway has not been lengthened then I suspect it will stay a rumour. But in any event the area is well served with three airports used by low cost carriers all within an hour of Bezier and a fourth at Nimes 30 minutes further on.

Baz

The runway at Beziers is 200m too short.  However the Mairie is apparently applying to the Conseil Generale for funds to lengthen it and it is 'in progress'.   Beziers are 'understandably' wanting to get onto the Ryanair bandwagon and once it's finished will be able to offer Ryanair another cheap landing spot.

Kira

• 2 weeks later...
Latest on Beziers:

The runway is currently closed, it's being lengthened to 2000m from 1800m & from 30m to 45m wide and the depth of it is being seen to as well.  It should be done by December and then they will approach airlines such as Ryanair & Easy Jet to fly a lo-cost route into it.

So no 'confirmed' flights yet but they will be touting for business, a case of watch this space I think!!

Kira

The runway extensions are planned to take part early in 2007 - the airport will be closed for three weeks in January/February for major works.  Negotiations are in process with a low-cost airline to provide flights to the UK or Germany from next summer.

This information is from official Chamber of Commerce publications that I picked up at the airport last week.  Reading between the lines, I would guess that it's Ryanair (bases in UK and Germany), so watch for announcements.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Pilot"]

The runway extensions are planned to take part early in 2007 - the airport will be closed for three weeks in January/February for major works.  Negotiations are in process with a low-cost airline to provide flights to the UK or Germany from next summer.

[/quote]

There's a piece in today's Midi Libre about the re-opening of the airport after the runway extension from 1800m to 2045m.  No mention of any l-c carrier(s) though.

From the CCI's airport website: ( http://www.beziers.cci.fr/3-13462-Detail-of-news.php?idactualite=94&titre_page=R%E9ouverture+de+l%27a%E9roport+de+B%E9ziers )

"La CCI de Béziers poursuit activement sa prospection d’opérateurs débutée il y a un an, en vue de l’élargissement de son offre de destinations à l’échelle européenne et de l’ouverture d’une première liaison vers la Grande-Bretagne en 2007.

Son objectif demeure la création de 3 destinations internationales d’ici 2009, générant près de 150 000 passagers complémentaires et 150 millions d’euros de retombées économiques locales."

So, a link to GB this year and 3 international links by 2009, but no mention of which airline.

• 2 weeks later...
It's possible, but Easyjet doesn't seem to have been too interested in the Languedoc so far. Ryanair obviously has Carcassonne, Perpignan, Montpellier, Nimes and Rodez, all within an hour or so of Beziers, so that could be overkill, or it could make good business sense to keep the region for themselves.  The rumours from Beziers always refer to flights to/from UK and Germany, which of course would suggest Ryanair. Another possibility is Air Berlin

• 2 months later...
am currently buying a property in le cap d'agde and was told that beziers airport  (vias)  is now in the process of recruiting for Ryanair.  so good news,,, dont know which uk airport they will fly from, hopefully it will be stansted.[:D]

[quote user="kate"]am currently buying a property in le cap d'agde and was told that beziers airport  (vias)  is now in the process of recruiting for Ryanair.  so good news,,, dont know which uk airport they will fly from, hopefully it will be stansted.[:D][/quote]

Kate, welcome to the forum.

I just wonder if that was sales talk because you are buying in the area. The rumours have been around for so long now and it is very strange if Ryanair are recruiting when they have made no official announcement for Vias. They have announced new routes for October and no mention of Bezier. But you do not need to worry as Montpellier is only 40 minutes away, with Perpignan, Carcassone and Nimes under I hour from your location all flying into Stansted.

Baz

Surely the ideal for the region would be a competitor to Ryanair ?

a) Competition is a good thing (and I am not just thinking price here but also service)

b) If Ryanair serve too many airports then some will have to go, so the net increase in utility might be nothing.

In fact the net increase might be negative for us but positive for Mr Ryanair as they all underbid for his attention.

AND for me. I would like it to fly from somewher other than Stanstead !

John

• 3 months later...
Apparently Beziers are having a hard time touting for business; not sure who will take them up on their new runway but it certainly seems it won't be Ryanair.  The comment above about Air Berlin might be true - or at least another European lo-cost carrier. 

Carcassonne's currently looking for an eastern european lo-cost carrier possibly but so much hangs in the balance with the CCI's contract there & Ryanair coming to the end of their monopoly - which is probably why O'Leary was seen about a fortnight ago in his private jet for a meeting.

• 1 month later...