Eastern Airline flights Southampton-Angers November 2007

Great news for everyone in the Loire area - Eastern Airlines are starting a service Southampton-Angers from 15 November.  Fares seem very reasonable - £99 return, running Tues, Thurs and Suns.

Flybe have stopped for the winter.  Let us hope Eastern have enough customers to make it worthwhile. 

Their fleet is of fairly small aircraft. I use their Bristol to Aberdeen route and it's on a 29 seater Jetstream 41, which is their basic plane. It's so small, theirs no chance of bringing 15kg of hand baggage in the cabin, everything goes in the hold. Cabin crew don't even need a microphone to do the safety bit at the beginning. I think they've got some bigger 50 seater too 

I notice that Southampton to La Rochelle has been dropped by Fly-be  who have had some bad press from their pilots over cabin fumes recently ...and ....I think Ryan air have dropped Nantes from Bournemouth  for next year...so the Vendee has lost two carriers ......

With the rapid growth of Low Cost Airlines operating from the UK especially to France where subsidies play an important part in their profitability there will be winners and losers. This has been more apparent this year with many routes opening and closing, a pattern that I believe will continue for the foreseeable future. Using local and provincial airports often means seasonal timetables have to operate and this results in further financial expenditures for the operators. I would caution anyone looking for a property or operating a business not to be influenced by the current or future intentions of the Low Cost Carriers in their region.

Baz

Peter..........It was not shown in my Sunday paper travel section on the Fly-be advert as a destination from Southampton  so I looked at their web site and its not a French destination that pops up when you click on Southampton .....I suspect they have dropped La Rochelle .

In theory the many cheap flights to Limoge should provide the answer to my travel needs.

In reality, the frequent scheduled flights to Tolouse and the 2 1/2 hour door to door motorway journey more frquently meets my needs.

I can't rely on Ryanair and Flybe to maintain flights  

• 3 weeks later...