Cheap day return crossing to France

Can anyone out there advise me of any cheap deals at present, so that I can get across to replenish my wine stocks!! I'm looking to do the shopping at Boulogne but I'm happy to do the Dover-Calais route. Although I'll be travelling from Norwich, I'll be looking to do the crossing and back in the day. It seems if I want to go across one day, shop, stay overnight, and come back the next day (an option that appeals to me), the cost seems to rise significantly (it seems to be called a 5 day crossing, and charges accordingly).

I've also had a quick look and it seems the Eurotunnel crossing is no longer competitive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony.

English newspapers often run promotions in conjunction with ferry companies, especially for day trips. I believe The Times has one coming up.

Another promotion to think about is that one of the wine warehouses in France - Wine and Beer World, that has four stores and has a connection with Majestic in Britain - pays your ferry fare if you pre-order a certain amount for collection in France.

I have sent them an e-mail to ask about above promotion. Answer as follows:

Thank you for your email. I'm afraid that we do not have an offer for a free ferry crossing from Poole or Portsmouth to Cherbourg. However if you place an order with us for over £300 we would be able to arrange a £30 discount. This is basically refunding the equivalent cost of the Dover to Calais day trip.

I hope that this helps and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Edward Betts

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. I found the Eurotunnel one to be of particular interest. It seems that if I go out on day one and return about midday on day two the crossing comes to £44. That makes the idea of an overnight stop in Boulogne a possibility (not forgetting all the lovely booze I'll be able to bring home!!!!).

So thanks to all.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I'm member of the travel club through subscribing to Living France magazine -  membership is free for subscribers. As to whether it is worth the £6, I've always found them to provide the best price for a day trip - depends on how many trips you might plan. As to longer trips we use the Camping & Carvanning Club Carefree Travel service, £70 return crossing for car with top box courtesy of Sea France. Membership is required.

Anything else, drop me a line.

Regards

Andy

• 1 year later...
not sure tony but belgium is cheaper than france for shopping-the french have gendarmes waiting on the french side of the border to confiscate any more ciggies than a packet of 20-to try to stop the french goving over for wine and smokes when you find something please let me know as i want a day trip too expenes shared.my email was removed by someone last time if i catch them it will be see them in court time. my email is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx this time i can catch anyone that removes it. cheers chris

Contact details removed by the moderators. Please contact the poster by OM or email, using the buttons on this post.

The info re speedferries is incorrect, they do day returns for a fixed fee of £25 which is at least half the cost (dependant on capacity) of  2 single crossings.

Their winter sailing schedule is a bit restrictive (more so from France than the UK) if you want to spend a long day.

The info re speedferries is incorrect

But was correct in 2006 when it was posted.

Speedferries like everyone else, including LD Lines and even Eurotunnel , started with the no tricky business, one single fare approach, but soon found they had to follow normal marketing policies.

hello tony i did post a reply with my email but my email was removed by somebody my address- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx what i said was it is cheaper in belgium than in france even the french nip over to belgium to get shopping the french gendarmes confiscate any more than 20 ciggies from french citizens to protect french tabacs so think ostend not france i think transmanche do this run check it out on the web i use dogpile not google to search with i find it better. when you go please tell me as i need my french smokes from ostend  i live just close to the a2 we will split all costs i also speak french and some flemish cheers-chris

Contact details removed by the moderators. Please contact the poster by OM or email, using the buttons on this post.

Users must not post messages which:

Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant

Pretty well covers anything I'd say. Nowhere does it says that it is a democracy [6]

Only the nieve publicise their personal email address in plain text in a forum and even worse to publicise that of others, you might as well send it to the spammers direct [+o(]