Eurotunnel Fares -v- Ferries

We are finding more and more that it is cheaper to use the ferries than our Frequent User tickets with Eurotunnel.  This week hubby went to UK for four days - P and O Ferries £55 return (cost with Eurotunnel £39 each way).  Its a shame that with their great debt Eurotunnel don't want to keep up with the other cross channel companies.  I am not a good traveller on the ferries but when you work out the saving over the year its got to be worth a little discomfort [+o(]

Suey

Hello Suey

I have only used Eurotunnel once (when Dover was closed in March!) as we needed to get across for a family do. It was absolutely fantastic (Eurotunnel and the family do that is!) but unfortunately we still use Speedferries now due to cost and cost alone!

AGD

Have not tried Speed Ferries yet - due only to the fact that OH worked at Dover Port and used to call Speed Ferries craft the "Vomit Comet" due to the colour of people when they got off sometimes!!

Suey

Suey

I have heard it called the Vomit Comet before but I think it's unreasonable - it's a small boat compared to the big P&O type ones so if you are prone to seasickness - sadly so be it.  OK you get no frills but you don't pay for them either just like some of the airlines (cat amongst the pigeons..........).  As an aside I used to use Condor back and forth France to the Channel Islands - Condor10 is the same size as Speed1 and costs bucket loads more for about the same crossing time and same service !!!

The first time we used Speedferries back in June 2004 was the only bad experience - we were going France UK and unfortunately the captain (or whovever was in control) whacked it against the dock and it took 2 hours to get off whilst the staff beat the door down - but it didn't put me off!  I just felt sorry for the people waiting to get on as there is no replacement ferry so no more crossings that day! The only other problem is really bad weather but again it's the chance you take.

Give Speedferries a whirl and see what you think.  But I agree - come on Eurotunnel bring your prices down so you are more competitive...............

AGD

We use Eurotunnel for most crossings as my OH is prone to sea sickness. They have held the £39 Frequent Traveller fare for some years now but have, year by year, increased the number of peak weekends so that now on most trips we have to pay a £30 additional premium on our return journey as we always come back in the evening. Fortunately we also travel out in the evening when the premium doesn't apply. At £108 return it can't really be called cheap especially for a frequent traveller deal and it does make the trip significantly more costly than using Speedferries. Add in the chaos at the French terminal whenever it is in the slightest bit busy makes it less than ideal but we just have to grin and bear it - or not travel at all.

Our other preferred route is the Portsmouth - Caen overnight as she doesn't usually have a problem if we have a cabin and sleep overnight but that is invariably even more costly so we almost always end up back with Eurotunnel.

From the Eurotunnel perspective they have probably pitched it about right as we rarely consider not making the trip because of the cost of the crossing.

The old "Vomit Comet" title applies to all "Wave Cutters". It stems from the fact that people who travel well on conventional ferries have always traditionally found the cat's leave them queasy! Having worked for a well known camping company this was always proven out by staff trips and customer comments. I myself am seasick on traditional ferries but not on Speedferries.

Having said that we have tried Speedferries 4 times. They were late every crossing (apparently the only guarenteed sailing on time is first of day). On three legs they ran out of water for the toilets, which was not a pleasant experience.

We are also frequent travellers on the tunnel and agree that the extra charge weekends have increased. This is OK in sumertime aswe have the light nights and an aired property, but a pain in darker nights. Yes, there can be chaos when there is a problem, but that is occasional and the ferries can be exactly the same. It is the most convenient form of travel based on comfort and speed as far as we are concerned.

The one thing I would like to see is that Eurotunnel look at geogaphical location of members in some way as being from the North West or further North we have very early and long journeys to make the cheap crossings. Being on the doorstep or within an hour or two's drive gives people a massive advantage to take all the cheap crossings!

One of the things I find really frustrating about the Eurotunnel now is the way the on-line booking facility forces you to pay in Euros, even from a Sterling bank account.  No matter how hard I try, I always get diverted to the Euro version, as soon as my address is asked for.  Has anybody found away around this?  It seriously increases the cost now that the exchange rate is so lousy.

But it's going to take a lot to make me travel by ferry again - it is not just the speed and discomfort of the actual crossings (I too get horribly seasick on both ferries and the cats) but the lugubrious customs processes - which still seem to have to be gone through at both ends of the journey. 

My wife is an exceptionally poor sailor (she threw up once on the old SeaCat while the boat was still moored in the port...) but she tried Speedferries when the cost difference with the tunnel became ridiculously high. We have not used the tunnel since.

How she deals with the trip is important. It helps if we have had a local overnight stop to avoid getting on the ferry immediately after a long car journey (she is prone to car sickness, too.). Above all, she avoids reading anything or being "trapped" in the middle of the boat - she likes to sit where she can focus on the horizon and, weather permitting, to spend some time on the outer deck. Seems to work a treat, even when we crossed last month in quite rough conditions. I think it helps that she knows it will only take about an hour.

But if EuroTunnel introduced more competitive pricing and flexibility for frequent travellers, we would probably switch back.

I have used Speedferries 20 or 30 times or so it seems and have never ever seen a person seasick, although I dont spend my time in the toilets - honestly officer[:)]

In all that time I could only describe one crossing as a bit wobbly (again no-one I saw seemed sick), I find that if the conditions are not good there is some motion when the boat leaves the harbour before it gets up on the plane, thereafter for me it is smoother than a traditional boat. I think vomit comet is just a good but undeserved name that has stuck, I even use it myself.

The worst ever trips I have had was a 2 1/2 day journey which actually took 6 sleeping on the deck of a copra cargo boat in the South Pacific closely followed by a Transmanche ferry in difficult seas with relatively few but severely intrusive "traveller type" passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the ferries but now opt for the tunnel.

Yes, if you shop around you can go cheaper by ferry. However, as we take our dog over she would be absolutely scared stiff if she was alone on the car deck of a ferry, especially if the alarms of cars were going off during a rough crossing.

The other advantages.....

We have a 730 mile drive to our house in France. You turn off of the motorway in to the tunnel check-in, no driving through Dover and therefore reach it quicker (unless you live in Dover). It is normally a lot quieter than the ferry ports. The journey time is 35 minutes saving an hour plus the time from the tunnel turn off to the ferry port, which can be quite important on a long journey. There are no restaurants but there again you are not subjected to all the noise in the restaurants and bars on ferries, especially when coach parties are on board. The exit at Calais on to the motorway also seems easier.

As for cost. We opt for the 05:50 from the UK so no supplement. Return 20:20 from Calais and, if we arrive early are allocated an earlier crossing. This adds a supplement of £20 or £30 around bank holidays.

In my opinion an altogether better and more relaxed way of crossing and well worth any extra paid.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="cooperlola"]

But it's going to take a lot to make me travel by ferry again - it is not just the speed and discomfort of the actual crossings (I too get horribly seasick on both ferries and the cats) but the lugubrious customs processes - which still seem to have to be gone through at both ends of the journey. 

[/quote]

????????

What customs processes?  We have never (yet) been stopped by customs at UK or French end of the speedferries trip. OK, we have only done the trip half a dozen or so times so there is still time.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote]

????????

What customs processes?  We have never (yet) been stopped by customs at UK or French end of the speedferries trip. OK, we have only done the trip half a dozen or so times so there is still time.
[/quote]Well, when I go by Eurotunnel, I only get my passport etc checked at the departure side.  When I've gone by boat, this has happened on both sides of the channel, and I've had to queue both sides to be "processed."  With Eurotunnel, when I drive off the train, I'm free to go!

Went over on Thursday with Number One Son as he wanted some wine; I wanted to cut the grass; and we both fancied a boy's day out and a decent lunch.

First time on Speedferries: not an auspicious choice as the Manche was a tad rough! At one point I did think the damned thing was going to tip over!

Price was excellent £23 for the return trip: 07.00AM sailing out and the 05.00 PM sailing back.

Passports were checked both ends: in the case of the return journey, twice: once by the Police aux Frontiere and then again at check in with Speedferries.

On Eurotunnel which Mrs G and I use frequently, passports are checked once only on entering the port restricted area.

UK Customs of course, in Coquelle are amalgamated with Immigration. Never been stopped.

On all ferries, I have always had to drive through the custom's shed at Dover and have rarely been stopped.

Coming back from France last year again with son on a wine shopping exercise, we were stopped strangely enough by French customs, who looked inside his Terrano with amazement at the sheer quantity of wine, laughed soundly, asked a couple of questions (we explained that some was mine but the bulk was son's annual supply!) and waved us on.

• 1 month later...

We always use Eurotunnel now mainly because we take the dog with us and you can sit in your car for the 35 minutes and be comfortable. The price is more but when I recently checked some of the ferries (we want to go from Portsmouth as we are in the area the day before we travel to France in October), after you have added a cabin or whatever to the cost it is nearly as much, if not more than the chunnel.

Although we have had the car searched before getting on the train, we have (fingers crossed) never had a problem being stopped at the other end as you always drive straight off the train and onto the roads. I think this has to be the more civilised way to travel from our point of view as I am not a good sailor either [+o(]

Carol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carol, interested in how much it costs you to drive from Portsmouth to Folkstone and back? if you add that to the tunnel price how does it compare?

Also if you are travelling south  in France, what about the extra fuel cost to get from Calais to and from le Havre or the like and also the extra toll money. Add that lot up and I am sure the ferry is not that bad, then although the tunnel is only 35 mins ish you have probably an extra two hours from Portsmouth to the port and two back, also on the French side a couple more each hours way.

Sounds hard work for the driver and the wallet.

[quote user="teapot"]

Hi Carol, interested in how much it costs you to drive from Portsmouth to Folkstone and back? if you add that to the tunnel price how does it compare?

Also if you are travelling south  in France, what about the extra fuel cost to get from Calais to and from le Havre or the like and also the extra toll money. Add that lot up and I am sure the ferry is not that bad, then although the tunnel is only 35 mins ish you have probably an extra two hours from Portsmouth to the port and two back, also on the French side a couple more each hours way.

Sounds hard work for the driver and the wallet.[/quote]

My husband is the main driver and it was his idea to drive to Folkestone, I am not a good sailor and he is also nervous about putting the car onto a ferry and leaving it whereas on the shuttle you can at least sit in your car.  The shuttle is costing £140 and the ferry we were quoted cost £425.50 so quite a difference even with the cost of the tolls and the diesel cost I think we are still in budget [:)]

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply, yep if your O/H is willing to drive then it looks a pretty good. I recon from my experience your total travel cost is probably around £250 maybe just over depends on what your driving of course, so your still saving.

Just to mention your O/H does not like putting the car on the ferry, almost everytime I have used the tunnel, people forget to take their cars out of gear before starting and bump the one in front.

Shame you aren't a better sailor as you could use the Transmanche ferry out of Newhaven.

Bon Voyage  

We have no choice as all the family live in the west country so it is Roscoff to Plymouth everytime. A six and a half crossing and also a five and a half hour drive to Roscoff so flying is sometimes the best option. We sometimes hire a car in UK at Bristol airport and it still works out cheaper than the ferry taking the cost of fuel into consideration on this side of the water as well.

Having used the Tunnel over 50 return trips I have never heard of people "Bumping" into the car in front Teapot, but when working in Customer Complaints Dept of camping company frequently heard of scrapes and knocks on ferries (usually poor driving).

[quote user="Rascalb"]Having used the Tunnel over 50 return trips I have never heard of people "Bumping" into the car in front Teapot, but when working in Customer Complaints Dept of camping company frequently heard of scrapes and knocks on ferries (usually poor driving).[/quote]

At least I know it was n't you parked behind me then. On ferries I have seen the odd scrape usually by the owners of dare I say it Caravans, but that serves them right for dragging their houses around with them. Long live Top Gear!