Car Hire from Hertz

Cynical old me, I had a look at their website, I don't see any difference. Compared to the other companys nothing special.

I noticed they have dropped from the other week but that would only be because they put them UP in the first place, maybe so they can advertise the 20%off now.

I normally go on the comparison sites as well as the various companies websites to find the cheapest and book whichever is.

However, the last two cars that I collected from Hertz at 23:00 at Toulouse airport meant that I could not inspect for damage until the next day due to it being pitch black. In both cases the cars had extensive damage compared to what was shown on the paperwork. What fun it was getting them to accept the damage. The last time involved me driving back to the airport as the local agent would not confirm the damage.

I now use the criteria of price and integrity.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Regardless of the supplier I always check the car before I drive off - pitch black, pouring with rain - whatever. In most of the compounds there is a lighted area even if just for security lighting. If all fails I make them come out with a torch (only once!)

Don't trust any of them an inch is my view.

I once collected a car from Europcar which was supposedly in perfect condition. When I drove it to a lighted area to check, virtually the whole length of the passenger side had been scraped to the extent that the trim was knocked off. Did they apologise? Not likely!

As far as Hertz is concerned I have had some minor damage occasionally and they have not bothered about it (so far). I don't always use them - I often book via Holiday Autos if they have a significantly cheaper deal - but have had no problem to date. In addition I take out an annual damage waiver policy with http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ and that covers me for any damage, including that which is generally excluded by the damage waiver policies which the car hire people sell - e.g windscreen. At a cost of £49 for Europe it costs me less than insuring each time (even with Holiday Autos at £2.50 per day) given the number of times I hire a year.

If there is not too much in the price I tend to go for Hertz as the No 1 Club service is excellent. Last time I hired from them (Oct at Toulon) I had the car keys and was on my way in less than 2 minutes!!

Andy

PS I have no connection with ANY of the businesses mentioned here!!!

Good advice Andy

We are hiring via Europcar from Stansted in December. I've been advised that their daily charge for damage waiver is £12 so will be taking out the cover with insurance4carhire as we've used them before (but no claims).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever made a claim and how they (insurance4carhire) dealt with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I will take my trusty Maglite to inspect carefully for any damage!

Peter 

I  claimed for two damaged tyres from insurance for car hire.€ 180 euros. They were superb and paid up on receipt of bills.We have used them now for a few years and have saved a fortune not paying the daily charges from car hire companies. Not all hire agreements cover tyres and windscreens.

Would not touch Hertz with a bargepole.

Charged us over 600 pounds for a weeks car hire from Beauvais airport ,small group A car.back in 2001/02. I complained by letter that they had overcharged us by over 400 pounds but got a standard letter back saying we had been charged the correct amount, tried phoning got the same, asked for a supervisor got the same.

I realised at this point what had happened, it was the changeover from Francs to Euros and someone obviously had thought that the insurance element was too low so had  multiplied the weekly rate by 7, thinking the rate was the daily rate.

I eventually had to sent a lawyers letter to sort it out but never even got an apology

• 2 weeks later...

Update on last hire.

I used Holiday Autos for my booking for a car at Marseille airport and the supplier was National/Citer. At the desk they indicated that there were scratches on the front and rear bumpers - anyone seen a car in France without such damage!!! - no problem.

When I checked the car not only were the wheel trims also damaged from scuffing the kerb but the roof was covered with large dents! Funny that they had not noticed that! I wonder how many people have paid for that damage so far! I made them note it all on the hire form.

As I said before, check everything and trust no-one.

Andy

Andy, I don't think that is unusual for that company. One time with them, out of Poitiers, the whole front bumper was held on with gaffa tape and other things did not work. I refused the car and insisted on a replacement. cost me an hour waiting at the airport. Have not used them since, cannot justify a small saving with the inconvience.

Out of choice, neither would I, but the problem is when booking with an agent like Holiday Autos you don't really have much choice.

Some time ago you could e mail them to request a particular supplier after you had booked but even that seems to have died off. I know that they do not use Hertz at Toulon - probably as they get cheaper rates from the others.

The only alternative is to book direct with the supplier and I will often do that if the price difference is not too huge.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Am a Hertz No 1 club member but like others on here will only pay so much extra for the added convenience.  To be fair I have never had a duff car from anyone I have rented from all over Europe.

Once in Nice in a Hertz, I got rammed from behind at a traffic light which cost me my €400 excess.

Several months later they sent me a cheque saying that they had reclaimed from the other drivers insurance co.  I was quite impressed with that as I had assumed that I would never see the cash again and certainly was not chasing it.

[quote user="P2"]

I normally go on the comparison sites as well as the various companies websites to find the cheapest and book whichever is.

However, the last two cars that I collected from Hertz at 23:00 at Toulouse airport meant that I could not inspect for damage until the next day due to it being pitch black. In both cases the cars had extensive damage compared to what was shown on the paperwork. What fun it was getting them to accept the damage. The last time involved me driving back to the airport as the local agent would not confirm the damage.

I now use the criteria of price and integrity.

Paul

[/quote]

Went to France the other weekend and using Expedia, Hertz were very much cheaper than all the rest so took the plunge, especially as we were travelling on the morning flight.

At the check-in desk the damage was marked on the 'plan' and off we went to the car. This time the damage was no where near as bad as indicated on the plan.

I now wonder if they are on commission if they charge for the 'damage' twice or more. I.E. issue as car with more damage than indicated at night and, if not challenged, chaqrge for it again?

Paul