Good website - cross channel bookings

I cannot understand why anyone would book via an agent and pay more - apart from potential hassle as in the link provided.

They used/still take bookings for LD and charge at least £5 more per booking, and this was the case over 18 months ago when prices where lower and for a low season booking.

Tegwini

Sorry if you've had problems! We have used them and had no problems and they are definitely cheaper on some of their crossings. Also reading through the link it doesn't sound as though they were the culprits in the end. Although it did get very confusing.

Suey

I know, it's very confusing. The shipping industry can get quite incestuous as to who is linked to whom (I know, I work in it).

Basically the people behind aferry.to are the same people behind HD Ferries and the Portsmouth operation of LD Lines. They also provide the booking engine for LD Lines and Transmanche. Their booking system is used by other operators too - at one time (maybe still) including P&O.

So prices should be the same as booking direct, at least most of the time. Sometimes there can be a bit of a lag with changes to fares, and sometimes special offer fares will be routed through the booking agents (and at other times will only be available when booking direct). So to be sure, you should always try a quote from the operators themselves if you want to be assured of getting the best deal.

Will

I have checked both & invariably a direct booking was cheaper. These days I just go straight to a direct booking. 

We have not had any problems Suey, but  not at all keen to pay more than necessary since we make this trip at least 6 times p.a. from Portsmouth.

Regards

Tegwini

I used them for a last minute redeye fare for Norfolklines, the price was the same but Norfolklines added a charge for paying by credit or debit card (is there any other way to pay?) and at the time there website kept crashing and would not accept the booking (it was couple of hours before sailing) aferry.to worked fine without the booking charge.

• 1 year later...
[quote user="tegwini"]

I cannot understand why anyone would book via an agent and pay more - apart from potential hassle as in the link provided.

They used/still take bookings for LD and charge at least £5 more per booking, and this was the case over 18 months ago when prices where lower and for a low season booking.

Tegwini

[/quote]

I've not found that to be the case all the time!  I know http://www.ferry-to-france.co.uk have been cheaper than brittany ferries on my own previous experience.  I am still waiting for http://www.moneysavingexpert.com to have a comparison for all of these [:D]

I have just booked a Norfolkline crossing with ferrycheap.com  and it was £17 all in, in the past when I have found a Norfolkline crossing for £19 or £25 there has always been another £5 of fuel surcharges and debit card fees, this is not the case when booking with some of the agents.

I also checked the price direct with Norforlkline and it was €28 for the same crossing (plus I expect the surcharges), bizzarely they charge in Euros and at a higher price for single crossings from France.

Mind you if I wanted to take my trailer the fare jumped to £250 with ferrycheap [:-))]