Senior Railcard

It took about 30 seconds. With Google I found the following site:

http://www.senior-sncf.com/carte/avantages/default.aspx

Part way down I found this:

25% de réduction (2)

• Dans tous les autres cas, quels que soient le train, le jour ou l’heure de votre départ.

• Bénéficiez aussi de -25% sur vos trajets vers l’un des 30 pays européens adhérents à RailPlus : l’Allemagne, l’Autriche, la Belgique, la Bulgarie, la Croatie, le Danemark, l’Espagne, la Finlande, la Grèce, la Hongrie, l’Italie, l’Irlande, la Lettonie, la Lituanie, le Luxembourg, la Macédoine, le Monténégro, la Norvège, les Pays- Bas, la Pologne, le Portugal, la République Tchèque, la Roumanie, le Royaume-Uni, la Slovaquie, la Slovénie, la Suède, la Suisse, l’Ukraine, la Serbie. Offre soumise à conditions.

[quote user="brianagain"]The important word in the statement Bénéficiez aussi de -25% sur vos trajets vers l’un des 30 pays européens adhérents à RailPlus... is "vers". The reduction is only applicable on cross border journeys.

Brian (again)

[/quote]

Quite right.

Took about 5 seconds to see that if you read French.

Bénéficiez aussi de -25% sur vos trajets vers l’un des 30 pays européens adhérents à RailPlus.......  Also get 25% off your journey to one of 30 European countries acceding to RailPlus  (Google Translation)

Why would they list UK and Ireland if it was only cross border travel, that doesn't make sense.

Right, the problem is 'non-joined-up' rail companies, as in SNCF, Eurostar & the rest of the UK network.

I think that you'll find that with an SNCF Senior card, your benefit will only extend to French domestic journeys. The same applies the other way, as with a UK Network Senior card or whatever it's called.

Eurostar will give you sfa. (but someone might well correct me on that).

The truth is that these cards on either side of the oggin work fine if you travel often and aren't too fussed over what time of the day you travel.  I've done trial-bookings many times & they've never worked for me because there's a limited number of trains that I can use + at the limited frequency I book.     

[quote user="Pat"]I have just bought a Carte Senior from SNCF and it seems to indicate that this could be valid also in UK. Anyone know whether it is or not?[/quote]

Hi Pat , and welcome to a good forum!.

Why did you buy it?

Where do you live?