Returning to the UK..Fill up with fuel ! .

Having just returned I am so glad I filled up before I got on the ferry.  The situation re getting fuel near me is getting really bad with our only garage in the village closed because of no fuel ... Even Sainsbury 's and four other  garages I have passed this morning are closed off  with cones .   I have taken the decision to keep the fuel I have in my car for my use and have decided  not to do my  3 days voluntary hospital car service driving next week  Now patients appointments will have to be cancelled ...as no arrangements have been made for the likes of me to draw fuel to take them in ...   What a crazy situation   !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frederick"]Having just returned I am so glad I filled up before I got on the ferry.  The situation re getting fuel near me is getting really bad with our only garage in the village closed because of no fuel ... Even Sainsbury 's and four other  garages I have passed this morning are closed off  with cones .   I have taken the decision to keep the fuel I have in my car for my use and have decided  not to do my  3 days voluntary hospital car service driving next week  Now patients appointments will have to be cancelled ...as no arrangements have been made for the likes of me to draw fuel to take them in ...   What a crazy situation   !
[/quote]

A crazy situation indeed Frederick, just what "call me Dave" and his old Etonian mates wanted. Still; I will fill up in Boulogne tomorrow as usual before entering the tunnel and will  have enough to get back to Boulogne on Monday, happy days.

People are behaving extremely foolishly in their panic. yesterday when filling up my car I noticed that the BMW in front of me only put in about 5 litres. He probably used half of that driving to and from the filling station.

I still can't believe a senior cabinet minister would suggest storing in jerry cans. Already a woman has received 40 degree burns when decanting petrol in her kitchen when flames from the gas cooker set the fumes alight and set fire to her clothing.

Yes but it's only right in the natural order of things that the stupid should die first. I bet she gets a no win no fee solicitor to gain compensation. I don't like any politician but seeing how stupid the voters have become society is doomed unless Simon Cowell speaks up to save us.

[quote user="Rabbie"]There is a theory that the government welcomes this panic as a distraction from criticism of the budget, granny tax etc[/quote]

Or buying the PM for £250,000 which I find just vile! I thought you only got a £1000 for come dine with me

I think you are right-but the tactic has badly misfired .In any language, "Don't panic" always means that panic follows-ask Corporal Jones!. There are reports of people filling jam jars with petrol. Not on the direction of a cabinet minister, but nevertheless he should think before he speaks.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Perhaps it was a tactic to make it impossible for the Union to strike?[/quote]

It appears that the Tories were trying to engineer the same situation that they did in the run-up to the miners' strike:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/31/petrol-crisis-thatcher-moment-tories

However, a quick calculation by the BBC reckons that at the most, 14 day's worth of fuel could be stockpiled in ALL the cars in the UK. There are fewer fuel stations in the UK now than there were eg in 2000. A week of no tankers (the MoD was reckoning on releasing about 90 drivers to replace the 2000 that there are normally) would hurt very hard.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think that if that was their plan they have at least avoided a miserable and fraught Easter.

I did hear on the radio that there is possibility of making provision for care workers and other essential services should there be a strike

[/quote]

Thats interesting RH .........  Nice to know somebody in No 10 is reading all the emails as they come in .

They should now provide provision to draw fuel for those of us who are working within the community providing a service to those in need  in the event of a strike . It only takes instruction to designated garages to provide fuel within our working area  on production of our photo ID cards and garages told not sell right out before they close to the  general public  .

This was not happening last week I was annoyed  so they got an E mail ... The sad thing  is  heaven help us if it takes Emails from such as us to remind them we exist and what we do ....and can not do without fuel .... serving the community  .     

No, the strikers should be made responsible for the consequences of their acts. The strike is a vicious political act and unnecessary and before they withdraw labour, the strikers should know that they are going to cause real hardship even put lives at risk. These are not poor downtrodden workers but well paid opportunists.

I was very impressed to see the last time there was fuel shortage in France that a lot of the garages imposed a 20 Euro limit on each car. I'm sure that helped to combat the "fuel grabbing" that has taken place in the UK last week. Although it appears that this has now eased.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

No, the strikers should be made responsible for the consequences of their acts. The strike is a vicious political act and unnecessary and before they withdraw labour, the strikers should know that they are going to cause real hardship even put lives at risk. These are not poor downtrodden workers but well paid opportunists.

[/quote]

Spoken like a true disiple of call me Dave and his old Etonian mates. Well done wooly glad to see that you haven't forgotten your working class past.