lawn mowing

abbo

[quote user="abbo"]please tell me it is illegal to mow your lawn with your large sit on noisy mower on a sunday afternoon in france[/quote]

It's illegal to mow your lawn with your large sit on noisy mower on a sunday afternoon in france.

Happy now?  [+o(]

As Weedon said in the other thread:

"If you live out in the sticks you more or less do as you please but if

you have neighbours then the normal rules apply.  The considerate think

of others and the not so considerate live next door."

[:)]

Yes, I agree,but at this time of year when the stuff's growing like crazy and it's too damp to cut in the morning and when you had to do something else yesterday and you're at work the rest of the week then there's only one time to do it.

Bloody Sunday afternoon.[:P]

We suffer exactly the same but we try to understand our neighbour's problem.[8-|]

[quote user="abbo"]please tell me it is illegal to mow your lawn with your large sit on noisy mower on a sunday afternoon in france[/quote]

It's not as illegal now as it used to be - as in nowadays it happens quite often but 10 years ago it was unlikely to happen.

anyway be reasonable - the weather lately has been so bad that you have to cut when you can  [:)]

* Tongue in cheek comment before the forum voyoux jump in with sarcastic comments [:P]

See what your neighbours do.

Ours work in the garden when ever the weather is good, but never between 12 and 2. They do sometimes get out the mower on Sunday afternoons, and we do likewise if really necessary. When we first came we were told that you couldn't use any machinery on a Sunday and we respected that.....until our neighbours got out their mower!

If you live in a village though, it's best not to as any noise really echoes in French villages!

thank you all for your trouble to reply, as you guessed I was very annoyed yesterday afternoon by my neighbour.  I should addd that this occured in england and he mowed between 4 and 7 continuously, and he is at home all week !! and it was nice here all week !!

We are moving full time to france shortly and the thought of sundays spent in the same mood was not amusing, however our neighbours in france are quite far away,

a

Well, in my little hamlet, it's very laid back. They mow, and we mow if it's rained all week, but normally they chill out and so do we.

You may find though that the farmers work if rain is forecast for the week ahead, especially through the harvest season which is quite long here. I remember someone on the forum complaining because the farmers around her hamlet worked evenings and weekends during the summer. Dunno what she expected!

So be prepared, if you're relaxed about things like that, you'll be fine. Just pray that a renovater doesn't move in next door. (Luckily for us, our neighbours have been quite laid back about that!)

I think the whole subject of lawn mowing/grass cutting should be one of the major reasons for "going back" or "not coming in the first place." No-one can be prepared for the speed at which the grass, and weeds, grow here. In April, May and Sept. it even needs cutting twice a week.Whatever expensive fantastic machine you buy it's never enough to keep the growth down. I really admire the self discipline of the locals who regularly mow, and I don't mind the noise, even on a Sunday afternoon. As for tractors etc working at night in the summer, it's the only time when it's cool enough to work. Pat.

It's a nice idea, Patf - "Brits defeated by French grass".  [:)]

I don't think the tractors work at night because it's cooler, though - lots have A/c - more to do with getting the work done while the weather is suitable. Around here, anyway. [:)]

They work through the knight here when they are spraying dry sulphur powder on the vines. The reason,    the wind does not tend to blow so much at night and they have to spray the powder when the wind don't blow. Oh at the same time the wind turbines are all looking like Marshiens and ain't producing eletrificity either!

The answer is that if you don't like the farmers working at night then don't live in the country, but if you live in a town/village then you have to be prepared to put up with your neighbour mowing his herb anglais on a Sunday afternoon. Bugger init? [:D]

We have a sculptor live not far from us. He works in metal and has a very strange affiction for very large metal shoe sculptures? His chorous is his 'meluse d'angle' (angle grinder) and can be heard most daze, even in the sacred hours of 12h till 14h [:-))]. Not a problem for us. Live and let live, why not?

I'll never be sorry I started this, its nearly as good as a 'towel'thread,

seriously though, lawn mowing by an individual who sits on his xxx all week, gets shouted at by wify on saturday night and then does all his 'chores' on sunday cannot be compared to a farmer - french or english - making a living.