Late Arrival with caravan at Calais - overnight area?

In our continuing quest for a property in France, in early Sept we will sail (car+caravan)from Dover and arrive at Calais at 22.45 on a P&O ferry. Normally we sail overnight Portsmouth - Caen and are able to immediately head south. Does anybody know if there is an area at Calais docks where one can "down legs" and get a few hours zzzz's so that one can set off reasonably refreshed at daybreak?

Thanks,
Keith

Not sure if you can still do it but we used to go to the far end of the port, still on the "tarmac" so to speak and just put the legs down and off to sleep, after the Hot chocolate of course !

There were always other caravanners/motor homers doing the same thing but it's many years since we last did it.

Miki

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to travel on the motorway from Calais I would get on it and go to a service area not an 'aire de repos'. Calais still has a lot of problems with assylum seekers and I would be nervous about parking there overnight. Also the caravan clubs warn about staying in 'aire de repos' if there is no-one else about, as there have been a lot of thefts from such places.

If you get a Michelin autoroute mapbook it shows all the service areas and the distance between them.

Good Luck

Jill3

If you come out of the port to the first roundabout and then go back in again but head for the "no ticket" entrance ie where the ticket office is - you'll find loads of motorcaravans and caravans bedded up for the night waiting - not particularly quiet although I think safer than the autoroute. Have a look at www.mmmonline.co.uk and its forum for more info on this subject as its a FAQ there.