train to paris

Royplumber

Rail Europe are very helpful. I tried to make a booking on the SNCF site last year but had problems, so I swallowed hard (I hate paying booking fees) and phoned Rail Europe. They booked one of us first class, one second, then joined us, then dropped one ticket and rebooked the other (or something equally confusing) and we travelled on the train we wanted, but both first class (free meal on Eurostar) for only £10 more than the first quote. They earned their booking fee that day!

But, this year I got exactly what I wanted via the web site so didn't phone them.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Have only just seen this posting so the reply might be a bit late!

Do try the SNCF site. We took our ten year old to Paris for his birthday last week. Booked seats on the TGV via the website with no problem; tickets arrived within three days by post and we now have the added bonus of being notified of various special offers by email.

Also check out the various discount cards; if you intend to use rail fairly regularly it may pay you to buy one of the various discount cards available; what you buy depends on your circumstances but it is explained on the website.

As far as the seat reservation numbers are concerned, we also thought these were a bit odd till we got on the train and realised that apart from the middle of the carriage, the pairs of seats face the same way and not facing each other as in the UK.

Have only just seen this posting so the reply might be a bit late!

Do try the SNCF site. We took our ten year old to Paris for his birthday last week. Booked seats on the TGV via the website with no problem; tickets arrived within three days by post and we now have the added bonus of being notified of various special offers by email.

Also check out the various discount cards; if you intend to use rail fairly regularly it may pay you to buy one of the various discount cards available; what you buy depends on your circumstances but it is explained on the website.

As far as the seat reservation numbers are concerned, we also thought these were a bit odd till we got on the train and realised that apart from the middle of the carriage, the pairs of seats face the same way and not facing each other as in the UK.