Why no Ryanair routes from Northern airports?

Sashabel

It's all very well adding routes to France from Luton Airport, but when is Ryanair going to realise that there are plenty of folk living north of Birmingham who are just fed up with being ignored!!

The journey down to either of these airports adds a lot of time and expense.  If you drive down you have to leave home at least 6 hours before your flight and then pay to park your car for the duration of the holiday. And if you use one of the internal flights to get to Stansted, it can add even more time (and expense) as you have to get to your first airport at least an hour before the flight and then can end up waiting at Stansted for another 2 - 4 hours to get the connecting one to France.

Come on Ryanair!!  When are your going to offer direct flights from Blackpool, Manchester, Newcastle etc. to France?

Sasha

I couldn't agree more with Sashabel. Why don't Ryanair start a few routes from Manchester, Birmingham or newcastle? I know that Ryanair at Poitiers airport have been asking passengers to complete a questionnaire re the possibility of new northern routes for the UK. pehaps they will surprise us all?

I've had to put aside some very tasty black pudding (with tripe of course) and cancel a shift down t' pit in order to reply but I do agree that it's all about demonstrating a demand from the north! I'm encouraged by the Poitiers survey but presumably Ryanair (and any other airline) would have to take into account the business they'd lose from Stansted in putting on new northern routes. Having said that, every flight that I've been on recently from Stansted to Poitiers, Tours or Limoges has been full so presumably there's scope for further flights.

What about a writing campaign to that nice Mr O'Leary to demonstrate demand - the worst he can do, as he did to the EU recently, is to tell us to "#### off"!

The lack of demand argument is pure rubbish!!  If Ryanair only offer flights to France from airports in the South, then that is where passengers will have to go to use the service.  Just because we travel to Stansted or Luton to catch the flight, it doesn't mean we are all Southerners.

In our little corner of the Poitou Charentes, there are people from all corners of the UK with houses (both holiday homes and permanent residents).  My husband recently took a hired van over from Glossop with the firms name printed on the side and was greeted at nearly every stopping point by someone who comes from or near that area.

To avoid all the hassle of getting to Stansted for a flight to Poitiers, I use the BMI Baby Manchester to Bordeaux route.  Manchester Airport is easy to get to and the drive to our house is only 2 hours north of Bordeaux.  Unfortunatley, this service is only available between March and October, so in the winter months a cheap ferry crossing is probably easier than messing around with Stansted.

If I am not mistaken, this is a thread directed entirely at Ryanair.  Having just looked at their website, I can't see them operating a single flight to a French Airport from either Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle or Liverpool.  But from Stansted you have the choice of over a dozen locations in France.

Surely, isn't that what Sashabel is getting at?

Re Rubberduck's posting of 1st September - when did they stop teaching geography in English schools?  Liverpool is about 150 miles from the Scottish border.  He obviously has never been north of Watford Gap and is biased like most southerners!!

Mary

DON ,in her orriginal posting Sashabel  mentioned airports north of Birmingham not the scotish borders! Ryanair operate routes From Manchester ,Liverpool and Blackpool, from one of these you could connect to stanstead and from another you can fly into spain.....not for some,but very convenient for me as I live on the border and hail from the other border..the pennines.

Might I suggest you try a diferent airline.

ps ,didn`t Rubberduck say he lived about 10 miles from Glossop...thats up north on my map

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of being as smart as a tack perhaps you should read the posts before making sarcastic replies.

The first post was about flights from northern airports no mention of England and Glasgow in in the north of the British isles.Then it went on about Blackpool.Newcastle and Manchester Blackpool is about 2hrs drive from Glasgow loikewise Newcastle likewise while Manchester is about a 3 hr drive much less then the 5 hour drive to Stansted So perhaps some of you norht of england people should think about travelling north to Glasgow to get a cheap flight to Paris or even to Stansted and then a connection

PS where is Glossop dont have a clue?

When I first wrote this thread, I didn't mean to alienate the Scottish contingent by excluding airports such as Glasgow.  If you go back to the original thread, there is an "etc." after the three airports mentioned - I wasn't just referring to specific airports in northern England.

It would be just lovely to see Ryanair offering direct flights to Poitiers, La Rochelle, Pau, Limoges etc, etc, etc, from some of the other airports it flys out of. 

Sasha

Do a web search for Glossop caravans.....they are in Glossop.

disclaimer; I have no association with the above company except I bought a caravan from them years ago.

PS you will not find an airport there......the main road only just takes cars!