7.5 tonne lorry hire - is it possible?

TessaT

To answer your questions in order;

Lots

Lots

Lots

Lots

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I hired from a company local to me, simply because they were the cheapest. I got several quotes, including from the big boys, all of whom were quite happy to insure for continental driving.

I would be very suprised if noone in your area will hire to you. Is this the real reason or are you too young/old/too much of a risk (nothing implied!!) for their insurers?

Where are you?

I think you have been misinformed.  Whilst a lot of the smaller outfits do not provide this service, you should find the bigger boys (girls, PC brigade) will do.  Do you have RYDER near you? they certainly do as I am using them next month.  I had to phone quite a few though before I found one in my area that came up with a good price.

Also see the postings about 7.5t travel to france.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Tessa,

I was looking for a 7.5 tonne box van with tail-lift myself, and got the following quote this morning from a Truck Hire firm in Farnborough Hants.

7 Days International Hire including Insurance, European Breakdown Assistance and VAT = £828.00.   They also quoted 750 inc for 6 days hire.

Hope this helps

GavinW

Hello all

Thanks to everyone for your responses - I had practically given up on the self-drive idea! I shall keep trying. In case it's of interest to anyone else, I have also found a site called LoadUp on which you can advertise your load and its destination, and hauliers who are looking for loads will contact you. I have had several quotes, which are much less than removal firms so far.

Tessa