Speedferries

Tootles60

Very interesting programme, Speedferries have definately rattled the cages of the big boys......... it would seem that the dirty tricks brigade have been out in force......it was confirmed at the end of programme that they hope to have a second ferry on line this summer.

Good luck to Speedferries and long may they continue to function.

Only saw bits as the Dashing Dane had to compete with Amanda Burton.

As regards dirty tricks - the programme could have been made with either Freddie Laker or Sir Richard Branson in the starring role. The Pirates must consider SF a serious threat or would not waste their time/money.

Good luck to him and let's hope he's makes it like Virgin/Ryanair rather than Freddie. He needs all of you channel crossers to use SF rather than the others even if prices match.

John

not

Saw the whole program and it was very interesting, even my wife was impressed.  Would love to use the service as it would reduce the travel time, especially as it would reduce the French travelling time.  He is talking about a second boat, would be excellent if he posted it at Portsmouth.

Only problem is do they take pets.  there is no mention on their web site so I presume they do not have a license.

Ian

We watched the programme on Speedferries and were even more impressed by the company having used them in October.

I hope we can all support the small guy against the big bullies.

Curt Stavis the Chief Executive Officer/toilet cleaner etc seems a person worth supporting and we hope to continue using Speedferries for a long time.

"Fight the Pirates"

Boulogne is a great port to go into and it is great to start the holiday off from such a welcoming port.

Mike

Missed the programme, Speedferries and pets see http://speedferries.com/speed_en_22.html.  We have to head for Pompey and don’t particularly relish the thought of our puppy being shut up alone in the car for any lengthy period. Speedferries seems great but like any fastcraft I suspect they are more susceptible to rough weather and consequently cancellations are more frequent. This could be a real pain with the deadlines set for flea and tick injections.

The Brittany Ferries fastcraft see http://www.brittanyferries.fr/index.cfm?articleid=683 seems bigger and more likely to sail in roughish weather. No doubt though it will cost a lot more!

This same thread is running in Postbag but called "Trouble at the Top".  We came back on Monday in a Force 8 and there was no hesitation in sailing, just the Captain's announcement that the crossing "may not be too pleasant".  In fact it seemed to me a lot smoother (apart from a few big bumps) than the Cat crossing we made from Newhaven to Dieppe a few years ago.  The girl at the bar is still hanging on to the coffee machine in rough weather, as she was in the programme - same girl too!

Shame Mr Stavis isn't still making every crossing with his customers - that would be a perk for the girls and increase his sales no end I'm sure!

Having now tried them, and pleased to see that they sailed in weather that would most definitely have grounded the old hovercraft or indeed P&O's fastcraft to Cherbourg, I shall whenever possible use them in the future.  We got a great deal in December "Buy one get one free" for £50 return!!!  So we have a free ticket to use any time this year except July and August.

As a P & O shareholder, my summer crossings for a car + 2 work out at least £70 pounds cheaper with Speedferries, even after my discounts.

The major carriers have been over charging for years and thankfully there is now a viable alternative, which I will continue to use.

All power to you and your company Mr Stavis.

Impressed on several  accounts .

1 , A chief exec  who  looks  at  the  problems  from the  passengers  point of  view .

2, Decided to put a  high  importance on  maintenance  of the   boat . After suffering   Hoverspeed   for  2  years  now ( Newhaven -Dieppe ) . Travelled out in  July  with reduced  power  due to an engine  problem . Brother  went in August  , reduced  power due an engine problem , went again in September ,reduced  power  due to engine  problem . Even  Transmanche  were  only  behind  them  by  1 hour  . If you pay  top  wack  for the  privilege  ,you  should  expect  top  service  , Hoverspeed  were  just taking the money.

3, Cost . I have booked 3  trips  with them this  year  . It works  out  cheaper to travel  with them  and  book a hotel in Kent , than it is to travel to  Portsmouth , ( 20 mins a way for me ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let all hope that   this revolution  keeps multiplying . When Easy jet  started it was a  similar  venture ,( The boss  travelled  on the aircraft  and used his  experience to  improve the  business ) now  the air  business is based on low cost  travel .

But  remember   it will not  succeed  if  we  do not  use the  service .  I would  much rather  travel  for £50  with  a little   inconvenience ( as some times there will be ) , than be ripped off  for £400   with a similar service .

Doug H