Taxe d'habitation

Kieran

We bought our house near Quillan in October 2005, which we use as a second home. We receive Taxe Fonciere bills but have never received any Taxe d'Habitation bills. We get our rubbish collected and have also received a wheelie bin from the Mairie. Do I need to contact someone to sort this out ?

Kieran

Hi

I would contact the main office - usually centre des impôts - where your taxe foncière came from, as you should have had a bill circa October 2006 for taxe d'habitation for 2006. This is not the trésorerie where you paid your foncière bill as they will not have your details, but they should be able to tell you the address and tel no of your nearest centre des impôts. The habitation payment for 2005 would have been made by the person who owned the house on Jan 1st 2005.

They might try and charge you a10% surcharge as you will be making a late payment but if you apologise nicely and explain you did not receive a bill and show a willingness to sort things out asap they should let you off the surcharge.

Sue

They will probably be so astonished that you want to sort the situation out ie voluntarily give them money without having had a bill, that you will receive royal treatment. All the French people I know never pay anything until the absolute last minute, and then only very reluctantly.

Sue [:)]

We bought our first house from a widow who was exempt from T.de H. and didn't get a bill for about 2 years. Finally I went into the office, but they weren't interested. What got things going was when we made our first tax declaration. We didn't have to pay arrears or anything. but if yours is a maison secondaire you won't be making a tax return.  Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]What got things going was when we made our first tax declaration. We didn't have to pay arrears or anything. but if yours is a maison secondaire you won't be making a tax return.  Pat.[/quote]

That does surprise me as I thought you were supposed to make a tax return if you owned a property in France - am I wrong?

Sue

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Spg"]

that you will receive royal treatment.

Sue [:)] [/quote]

That sounds like Madame La Guillotine for you my boy. [;-)]
[/quote]

Perhaps I should rephrase that - how about a warm welcome instead?

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Benjamin"]Ah..............you mean like Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) [6]
[/quote]

I had a feeling as soon as I wrote 'warm' that you would pick up on that - I give up, I am devoid of further comment, I need pity as I have been number crunching all day for the dreaded 'déclarations des revenus de 2006'. I need a drink of the alcoholic kind to revive me.

Sue [blink]