Van Hire

lil

Hi all

we have just returned fro mour first visit to our new house in France ( near Nontron). We hired a large van from 1van1 to take stuff. We are going back in July and want to take a smaller van. Does anyone know any companies who will hire vans to take abroad ( most didn't when we were looking?)

Also, does anyone know of a car hire firm who will pick up from Limoge airport?

Thanks

Lil

Can't answer your second query, but we've taken a large box trailer about 5 times now. If you have a towbar, trailer hire is MUCH cheaper then van hire, you still have a car to travel in and fior when you arrive, and crossings for the trailer are about an extra £90 return at the mo.

Our box was 10 feet by 6 feet by 7 feet high, internal dimensions, and I hired it from a place near Lincoln for £130 for 10 days over easter, plus £50 deposit.

This year it came back with a cement barbecue in it, purchased from carrefour for €160, (UK price £300), in addition to the wine/beer we normally bring.

Alcazar

PS: getting a towbar fitted is a good idea too: trailers, the smaller types, are a must for renovation work over there, and a towbar can be fitted to most cars for less than £150 now.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Hi all we have just returned fro mour first visit to our new house in France ( near Nontron). We hired a large van from 1van1 to take stuff. We are going back in July and want to take a smaller va...[/quote]

When we bought our house we investigated van hire and it seemed v expensive, especially as we travel from the midlands to south west France  We ended up packing the car full and buying furniture in France - small house, 2nd home so not much needed. We now have a Citroen Berlingo which has been invaluable for carting DIY stuff, wood, borrowing a concrete mixer etc.

If we leave England completely we'll need to take lots of stuff and removals are v expensive (and in one friend's case, unreliable - their stuff ended up miles away!)

Someone suggested buying a transit van and reselling it when it's no longer needed, we might even do that.

Maz

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Lil

I don't know if you have sorted out the van hire issue, as you posted some time ago now, but I today have been trying to hire a van and it wasn't easy. Finally I hit upon Hertz who have most shapes and sizes and they were the cheapest.

I am also considering using using the removal companies advertising in the magazine. I am waiting for quotes.

Bets of luck

Tony