Limoges Airport

moon

Our first run through Limoges airport this month. I was wondering how quick it is to sort out the car hire pickup. I foresee 150 people getting off the plane, most having booked a hire car, and one operator sitting at the single (Hertz) car rental desk.

Is this the case, would I be better getting a different car hire firm. I have the travelsupermarket web address but a lot of companies like holiday autos send you to hertz anyway.

Any help much obliged.

Bob

You're right about there being a bit of a ruck in the arrivals at Limoges. Same in departures!

What some people do, is leave the missus to fight for the luggage from the carousel, while nominated driver swiftly exits customs and presents himself first at the car-hire desk. Then nonchalantly waits with engine running for a quick getaway.

Not sure how missus would comment on this subject.

Having said that, there are about 4 different desks and the wait isn't too bad, as most people have pre-booked and it's simply sign and collect keys. 

I've always got National Citer at Limoges from Holiday Autos. Cars are new but you need to watch out for, and report minor dings and scratches.

Anyone know when the big tent goes by the way?  

Hi

Car hire - only hired twice, and prebooked both times. Only a ten minute turn around. No problem.

As for the terminal building - well completion was due April 2005. No update, so allowing for the French way of doing things I would say several months yet. Looks good though.

Tony

Tent still in use a fortnight ago. Car hir...used Hertz with only a 10-15 minute wait, last time used Argus rental and that went through europcar, more used that than Hertz so i guess I may go back to Hertz...until that gets busy again....not too bothered about a short wait tho'

• 3 weeks later...
After all the previous words we had a horrendous experience at Limoges, first some kind passenger stole my mother in laws suitcase even though it had her name on.......OK they returned it too the airport necessitating me to do a 150 mile round trip to collect it.......What ever happened to airport checks, and as there were no other bags left didnt these idiots think they had too many cases............

Then car hire from Hertz... 20 people in queue, 2 hours to get the car.... Europacar has one person, Avis, National and Alamo had nobody and went home early.

Just to confound matters when I returned the car Hertz had 1 person queuing whilst Europacar had twenty??????? Will see how much Avis and co charge I would pay a bit extra to get out 2 hours earlier...

But after all that... thank god for Limoges Liverpool.... arrived back just as the boys were stepping off the plane with the CUP!!!!!!!!

Bob

Bob

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes

stole my mother in laws suitcase even though it had her name on.......OK they returned it too the airport necessitating me to do a 150 mile round trip to collect it.......What ever happened to airport checks, and as there were no other bags left didnt these idiots think they had too many cases............"

Scheduled airline carriers, I think, would be obliged to deliver the lost / mishandled baggage to you, (FOC) maybe this doesn't happen with the "no frills" carriers.

But after all that... thank god for Limoges Liverpool.... arrived back just as the boys were stepping off the plane with the CUP!!!!!!!!

ah well, as they say,.......every cloud has a silver lining!

Hope you had a good visit despite all the mishaps.

Gill

Gill / Bob,

From what Bob says, it seems his mother-in-law’s case got to the airport OK.  It looks like someone mistook the case for their own (or thought they came with more luggage!) and took it from luggage reclaim.

In that sort of situation I don’t see how you could hold any airline liable.

It is interesting though how that at check-in you’re asked all sorts of questions about the luggage being your own, if you’re carrying anything for other people etc, but there are no checks to see it you’re leaving the airport with the same luggage you checked in (unless you get stopped by customs).

In Bob’s circumstances I think all you can do is try to minimise the risk of it happening, maybe by buying one of these coloured straps to put round your case which would make your case look more individual and easier to identify from others.

Re car hire queues, to take Cabman’s strategy a bit further, maybe the solution is:

1. Get to the airport and departure area early so you’re among the first to board the plane
  2. Sit close to the door so you’re among the first to get off
  3. The driver heads straight to customs and through to the car hire desk - 

From what Bob says, it seems his mother-in-law’s case got to the airport OK.  It looks like someone mistook the case for their own (or thought they came with more luggage!) and took it from luggage reclaim.

Well yes I can see your point but unless the person who took the case had a contact address and tel. no. for Bob's MIL, Bob probably had to report the missing case to the airline and they presumably filled out a PIR (property irregularity report). It may not work but I think I would have pushed for the the airline to deliver the case or for the "offending" passenger to pay for the missing case to be sent by taxi.

As you suggested I would definitely tie something disitinctive around the case handle or find a suitable coloured strap.

Gill

Thanks to everyone.

MIL's case had scarf tied to it and leather tage with name and address on, both had gone by time we got it back.

I dont really blame Ryanair they did their part in delivering the case to Limoges its the airport who must be to blame. The little ticket they give you for each piece of luggage on check in is supposed to be a baggage claim label, the only time i have seen them checked on leaving baggage reclaim has been in the US.

The worst thing was MIL is disabled and has a heart condition and mistakenly put all her medication in her case instead of splitting it. We were facing a doctors visit and pharmacy bill so were relieved to get the call on our way to our house. Airport staff had no real interest in delivering case, as we all know its the gallic shrug :<)

I know Easyjet sometimes delivers, a friend returning from Amsterdam was one of a 100 passengers whose luggage was accidently forgotten. Probably different for one person.