Louis Vuitton anyone ?

Punch

From a recent newspaper;

Next time you buy a near perfect copy of the latest Louis Vuitton luggage down the market, remember not to take it to France. A consortium of France's top luxury-goods manufacturers has warned tourists that those caught buying or in possession of fake goods on French soil face fines of £200,000 and three years in jail.

The Comité Colbert, which includes Chanel, Bollinger, Givenchy, and Hermès, corroborated advice received from French customs that airport staff would  "challenge passengers passing through with designer luggage" - and that those caught with counterfeit goods would be fined.

Paul

[quote]From a recent newspaper; Next time you buy a near perfect copy of the latest Louis Vuitton luggage down the market, remember not to take it to France. A consortium of France's top luxury-goods manufa...[/quote]

Thanks!

I'll remember not to take my Louis Vuitton hand bag, credit card and key-ring holders when I next go to France to visit my folks!

My daughter bought the set for me as a Xmas present...

...in Bangkok! ....

I don't even dare take it to the office either!...

[quote]Thats my trip to Blackbush market cancelled then !![/quote]

Blimey Gay,

I had a leather and suede coat stall there many moons ago ! (another little sideline !!)and just around the corner we used to put in our P/ex's at the car auctions as well !

Funny enough some of my most hardwearing T shirts have been my "Lacoste" ones bought in Penang years ago, -  far better than all that posh expensive stuff

I suppose if I'd known that I would have been living in France years later, i would have bought a "handbag" (mens one ) to match

Paul

[quote]Flashback, flashback!!!I grew up a mile from Blackbush market, used to walk across the common and the runway to get there![/quote]

Bad memories for the wife with the airport though.

She jumped out of an aircraft in a parachute jump for charity and broke her leg on landing, leaving me with two kids in a pushchair wondering where she had got to, until we heard a siren from an ambulance go flying by and somehow it just clicked that it simply had to be for her!

Don't know about France but they are certainly taking a tough line in Italy, below item is from last week's Daily Telegraph;

£6,600 fine for buying fake Dior specs
By Bruce Johnston in Rome
(Filed: 25/06/2005)

On-the-spot fines of 10,000 euros have been imposed on three tourists for buying fake designer goods on the Italian riviera.

The fines, the equivalent of £6,624, were part of a crack-down on illegal street trading in Ventimiglia.

The first of the tourists to be caught, a 60-year-old Dane, Kirsten Lorsen, had bought a pair of bogus Dior sunglasses. Another victim, a 27-year-old Frenchwoman, nearly fainted after being handed the fine by uniformed police for purchasing a fake Louis Vuitton handbag.

A second Frenchwomen was a more serious case, having bought a large quantity of T shirts and sunglasses, possibly to resell across the border at home.

In none of the incidents was the street vendor, believed to be Senegalese in Mrs Lorsen's case, caught by the police.

Don't suppose it would be much of a defence if you claimed you really thought you were buying the genuine article !!

Another Dave

What do we do about our Nike/Addidas trainers on our feet... bought at some street market

Men's Calvin Klein Yfronts ...bought at some street market

and many more such items..

Are we fined for these as well! I can see the Naturist movement having a laugh at us all!! You wouldn't have this problem if you joined us!!!!

Very worrying! Could I be fined for travelling in genuine M&S everything, Boots sunglasses, Clarke's shoes and Millett's backpack?

Following on with the Blackbush connection, I also lived for twenty years within walking distance of the market, across the common. Dog walking on the common twice a day was great. I didn't see any stalls selling fake M&S. I suppose you can now buy it direct from the store at The Meadows.