Taking Lorry to France

jaylottJohn

If you are seriously thinking of going down this route, I suggest you approach the freight ferry companies rather than the traditional car ferry companies.  You will probably have to go direct since I do not imagine they have brochures like they do for cars.

P&O freight (Middlesbrough and Hull to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge, Harwich to Holland and maybe Ostende/Zeebrugge)

Norfolklines (Dover Dunkerque)

I am sure there are more but the brain isn't functioning today

hi, if this helps, i brought a 7.5 ton lwb hire lorry over with brittany ferries freight, cost me over 600 pounds, this was during march this year, diesel is another big cost, i spent around 160 pounds return from south east england to s.w france and return. the fact that the lorry is probably free of cost is a plus a i paid hire fees aswell.still was cheaper than a firm though no matter what way you cut it.

and as long as your licence is before 1996 you do not need hgv, as 7.5 doesn't class as a hgv.

I used a horsebox lorry (7.5t) about 2 yrs ago on Brittany Ferries (freight office) cost around 500 pounds one way inc.free meals and cabin inc.

Mine had living conversion and coverted for horses which considerably added to the tare weight!(did not take that into account).  Each load I mixed household tools and small machines. All freight is put on a weighbridge at the port!!

You might say my luck was in that day or everyone at the ports were very kind to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice here and by email.

We just returned having done the trip in the 8m long 3.3m high 7.5tonne horse lorry/van/motorhome thingy, all went very well for £68 return on Norfolk Line. They were fantastic, new boat, on time, great food, and no screaming kids !!!