Did Speedferries run today (30/11)?

Coco

Strange question I know, but I have reason to believe that our builder is starting to tell a few porkies to delay his start date.  Tonight he told us that he's stuck in the UK because Speedferries cancelled their ferry due to bad weather.  The Dover and Boulogne forecasts were both good visiblity and southerly winds of 7-9miles an hour.  As we crossed with Speedferries in January in a Force 9 gale I find a cancellation for this reason a little hard to believe.

As we haven't signed the devis yet (because he also hasn't provided a written copy) we're now reluctant to do so, especially if he is telling blatant lies.  He says he sent us three hard copies and they must be getting lost in the post.  If he starts out like this (and wants 40% up-front) where is it likely to end we are asking ourselves.  And at the moment, my only conclusion is..... in tears

Coco, whilst there is not a weather problem, there is a blockade of Northern French Ports whether it effected Speedferries last night I do not know.

Important Travel Information - 01/12/05

We have been advised that the ports of Dunkirk, Boulogne and Calais are expected to be affected by a maritime blockade by the French fishermen in protest at EU fishing policies.  This action will affect all ferry operators.

It is expected that there will be no services possible between Calais and Dover on the morning of Thursday 1 December.  The last SeaFrance departure from Calais tomorrow morning will be at approximately 07.30, with services resuming at approximately 13.00.  Our last departure from Dover before the interruption will be at approximately 04.30 and services will resume at approximately 09.30

Baz

Thanks everyone, much as I thought!

You're dead right John, I've already phoned our second choice builder (who in fact we regretted not going with almost as soon as we'd done it - he was more expensive but seems more professional)  Just hope he's prepared to take us on, having been rejected by us a couple of weeks ago

Baz - the ferry he was supposed to have been on would have arrived in Boulogne at lunchtime yesterday, so I presume wouldn't have been affected by the blockade.  Besides, he did say it was due to bad weather.

We had a French guy lined up (and had waited since April for him to start) but the silly man went and broke his leg three weeks before he was due to start our job!!  Previous experience of Brit builders in France has only been bad so we were extremely reluctant to go down this route but any French artisans we found couldn't start til NEXT April (16 months after we started looking) and as that will be into our B&B season we unfortunately HAVE to chance using a Brit.  Hopefully the one we have now chosen will be able to restore our faith in our own countrymen!

Weather:

U.K. weather forecast said severe winds and rain last night may cause some coastal flooding.

I haven't caught up with the news today but have not heard of cancellations.

Sounds as though you have made the right decision.

Gill

From another forum re the delays yesterday.....apparently the fishermen brought the blockade forward because the  forecast for today was bad......

MOH was on the ferry that was delayed by the blockade. I believe it was the French fishermen who brought their action forward from today to yesterday because of the predicted storm. He was told this by the General Manager of Speedferries so I suppose it must be right. I dont know whether any more action is threatened and I didnt see anything on the news lasy night about it but I was busy in and out the room whilst the news was on so could have missed it. MOH finally got over to France at about 2ish I think.

There were no ferries until after lunch......