Flybe to charge for checked in baggage

Brian

I see that Flybe have today announced their intention to introduce a £4 charge for each item checked into the baggage hold.

This is justified in stating that their aim is to improve (speed up) turnaround times and eventually lower their prices! At the same time the carry on allowance is doubled so I hope thay have thought to increase the size of the overhead storage bins as I can see this causing even more problems as passengers fight for the available space. What will we see next in these companies increasing desire to gain increase revenue by ostensibly lowering their prices but loading all the other items (choosing you seat, etc) to effect an real increase.

Thoughts please

Brian

I quite like the idea, except that as I travel alone (if I am travelling by air) the fact is that its as much as I can do to carry the present allowance (I often have a train journey the Uk end) so where as I might think 'oh goody I can buy more to bring back', in fact I can't carry it :(

One day I will get to only travel with 'carry on' !

PS Isn't it only £2 if its pre booked ?

Depends on their costs vs. profit balance.  In one respect it might be a good idea as

people are paying for the service(s) they are using (i.e. more weight in the

aircraft, more handling charges at departure and arrival airport, etc. all cost

the operator money).  However, it might

just be a method to increase profits. 

If the later, then I guess they are going to do it anyway – if not by this

then by higher fares, etc. so at least this way is representing people to cost

the operator more are paying more.

Ian

Didn't Ryanair also say recently that they intended charging for checked-in luggage, whilst increasing the carry-on allowance?

In a way I can see that this makes sense, as it is the loading and unloading of baggage that takes the majority of ground-time for aircraft.  If they can stick to a tight turn-around schedule they get more use from their planes, and can continue to offer cut-price flights.

Given the choice I would always opt to carry hand-luggage only, on airlines like BA this is never a problem as they have a generous hand-baggage allowance, but in the past my hand baggage has been judged excessive by Ryaniar and I have had to check it in.

Sounds like good news to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this post.

What a great idea if it is adopted as normal practice.

I frequently travel with my work and nearly always hand baggage only cuts down on time on check-in and when arriving at your destination no 30 minute wait for your luggage

Lets hope all airlines adopt this policy.

John

Hmm...I wonder what BAA or even the Health and Safety Executive think

of this. Depature lounges at many airports are not exactly roomy and

the idea of trying to evacuate one in the case of some kind of alert

when every gangway and passage is crammed with "hand" baggage (because

they will be, whatever notices are stuck up or announcements made)

doesn't strike me as being particularly amusing. Looks like a

"Hillsborough" style human paté incident waiting to happen, in fact.

[quote user="jond"]Hmm...I wonder what BAA or even the Health and Safety Executive think of this. Depature lounges at many airports are not exactly roomy and the idea of trying to evacuate one in the case of some kind of alert when every gangway and passage is crammed with "hand" baggage (because they will be, whatever notices are stuck up or announcements made) doesn't strike me as being particularly amusing. Looks like a "Hillsborough" style human paté incident waiting to happen, in fact.
[/quote]

I think you have a very valid point.

However, the concept of charging for each bag  loaded into the hold is frankly only another way of the low cost airlines raising their revenue and keeping the advertised basic flight prices low. The vast majority of passengers are not going on day or overnight trips and therefore to say they want to increase the planes turn round times holds no water. It is high time that all advertised flight prices included all the extras and not hidden by just stating Taxes and Charges are extra.

By the low cost airline hiding their charges it is well worth looking carefully as National Airlines prices as they can be very competitive and often cheaper, with food, drink and better seating arrangements  included and a wider choice of more sociable flight times.I believe the bubble will burst when passengers realise that they do not want to be treated like cattle. I am not knocking the enterprise of the low cost airlines to lower overall flight costs but there may will be a limit to what the public will accept when they begin to see through the current smoke screen. One of the main reasons that the low cost airlines are winning their current PR is that the are flying many routes without any competition and that is a great service to many travellers.

Baz

Hello

I think it is a very good idea to charge for luggage. Why should someone with only hand luggage subsidise someone with hold luggage. I like low cost airlines, I use Ryanair quite a lot. it's cheap and cheerfull but what do you want from a 1-2 hour flight, so what if you have to push and shove to get a decent seat. I prefer to spend the saving on a decent lunch or dinner. You all have the choice but you know greed normally prevails.

Have a nice weekend y'all