L D Lines

ams

Currently travelling from Le Havre to Portsmouth. Internet link is working, unfortunately little else has been. Left Le Havre over 2.5 hours late due to some technical electrical problem after an original announcement of 1.25 hours delay. Communication almost non existant. Cabin crew doing their best under difficult circumstances with the exception of the so called 'information' desk staff who are sullen and unhelpful and appear confused over the difference between French and UK time. This follows shambolic loading in Portsmouth on Thursday evening when we were waiting to get on until after the boat was due to have departed. Supposed to dock at Portsmouth 12.30 am (supposedly French time but we'll see).

First time use of this service and almost certainly the last. Very disappointing.

I'd be interested to know more, as we considered using LD before Christmas, but found their prices surprisingly steep for a "no frills" service - even more so than BF, and we always thought they were expensive. I'd also heard that the cabins on LD weren't much to write home about, and not enough of them either. Anyone else tried this service?

Unfortunately where there is just one ship available, delays due to a small problem can often cause considerable disruption, as has been shown with Speedferries. In this case though, as the ship spends much of the working day in Le Havre there should be a chance to do repairs. Because the ship was built for the shorter channel crossings cabins are a bit lacking, though we understand the company is gradually improving this. There were good reports of the service when it started, particularly about the company's staff, but it seems as if it may have slipped back into P&O mode. A simple, no-frills pricing policy was indeed promised at the outset, though LD Lines is naturally enough anxious not to operate its passenger service at a loss (it is primarily a freight carrier) so, disappointingly, it has not been possible to substantially undercut the competition where prices are concerned. There are some special offers, LD Lines' current advertising in Living France gives a foot passenger one-way fare of £9.90 for example.

We've used LD Lines for 2 return crossings recently (one late November and one between Christmas and coming back on New Years Eve to the UK). After the first trip we swore we'd not use them again as loading took forever, the captain (it seemed) didn't have his 'ticket' to pilot the ship into either Portsmouth or Le Havre and the food on board was hugely over priced and not very good at all (and no shop - what is a girl to do!).

However, we wanted to check up on our property after Christmas and take the dog too. Brittany didn't have any spaces available on any crossing until after the New Year for cars with pets so we had to bite the bullet and use LD again (the girl at check-in in Portsmouth commented on how many pets were travelling that night - didn't like to say they were second best...!). I made a boob with cabin booking (booked it for the wrong ccrossing - doh), but we managed to secure a 2 berth not long after sailing (at an exorbitant cost of £54 - and it wasn't comfy at all - P&O ones were better).

Once again loading and offloading at both ports was delayed (about an hour plus each time) so we spent the midnight hour on New Year's Eve travelling through Dorset to get home in Devon - about an hour and a half late! Shop was open this time, and we didn't have food on either crossing.

Ultimately its down to who can do the crossing at the best price and at the most convenient time (Le Havre is the easiest port for us although Poole would be nicer in the UK - or even Weymouth). We're going to try Speedferries with their super cheap crossings as it works out much cheaper for us to drive from Devon to Dover, short crossing then drive back to Honfleur from Boulogne - possibly even time-wise it will be quicker... it's just stress of the UK drive that may deter us!

We also had the problem of staff at information being from the 'customer don't-care' school of thought, blaming the captain for no information being provided to them.

I'm sure LD will improve with practice - and hopefully the captain will get his ticket soon so that we don't arrive at the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth and the announcement says "we shall be shortly arriving in Portsmouth - in an hour"!!! No doubt we'll use them again - they didn't charge us extra for the dog and we were first on and off this time - one little bonus!

Ewa

Devon & 27

I have just received the latest advertising email from LD Lines and decided to check the prices of a return trip from Portsmouth to Le Havre at Easter. The cost was £372 including our dog and suitable accommodation (for us!).

I then made the same (times and accomodation) selection for BF using the Portsmouth to Caen route and came up with £352. I could reduce the BF price by using our property owners card giving a final price around £300.

The Le Havre route is more convenient but I will wait until LD start some frequent traveller/home owner offers.

Alistair

[quote user="Ewa"] We're going to try Speedferries with their super cheap crossings as it works out much cheaper for us to drive from Devon to Dover, short crossing then drive back to Honfleur from Boulogne - possibly even time-wise it will be quicker... it's just stress of the UK drive that may deter us! [/quote]

Have you considered Transmanche, from Newhaven to Dieppe? Seems to me that might be better from the driving point of view. Their crossing time is currently 4 hours, but they are supposed to be getting a new boat this year which will cut that down to 3 hours. (perhaps).