Speed Ferries Price Increase

PeterG

Surely that was implicit when they offered the cheap crossings for early bookers, rather than sharp practice?  Eurotunnel do the same: Pay for x crossings by a certain date and they'll be cheaper (albeit hedged around with a few time restrictions) than if you buy them later in the year...
Speedferries crossing is still pretty inexpensive isn't it?  (Haven't booked for this year, so not able to quote figures.)

Angela

I've seen several references to the increase, but no actual figures. I think we all knew that the initial fares were unsustainable, particularly if a second ship is to be chartered. But as Angela says, it will almost certainly undercut most of the competition, particularly if you book early, and will still prove good value for those prepared to undertake (or who do not have to make) the long drive and aren't looking for a five-star level of service.

To test out the fares currently being charged, I priced a number of trips that I had already booked for later this year.  The results were as follows (my booked prices shown in brackets):

Out 23 Feb back 7 March £50 return (£0 - we had a "bogof"  from last year)

Out 18 April back 4 May   £60 return (£38)

Out 6 June back 20 June £78 (£38)

Out 25 July back 24 August £78 (£38)

Ok early birds get the worms but even the latest prices make Eurotunnel, P&O, SeaFrance or Brittany F look v. expensive.

From your original prices Tony, I assume you booked one of their 10 trip supervouchers, thus making each return trip £38. These have now gone up to £210 for 1o single journeys over 2 years, so you could still book for August at £42 return.

No.  I early booked three "open" fares which I could then convert at no extra cost to the dates which I eventually decided I wanted.

I have since booked the "Supervouchers" so that I can fix the price for the next 12 months.

Dover-Boulogne is not the most convenient route for us (Yorkshire to Orne) but when all costs are taken on board it is still by far the cheapest and I would rather sit behind the wheel for an extra 3 hours than spend 6 hours on board Brittany Ferries.