Moving to France - do I have enough?

josa

I am a little at a loss and looking for options. I am 52 and just found out that I am likely to become unemployed in the next few weeks. I own a house in the Limousin (87) which is able to be lived in but is still being renovated , and a bungalow in Essex with 3 bedrooms and 4 ish acres, so basically a smallholding. I have no mortgage or loans.

As one of my options I am considering renting out the property in Essex - I reckon about £1250 per month would be easily achieved - and moving to France for a couple of years. I am a solicitor and actually have my own one man law firm as well, which is up until now simply a way of helping my friends and rugby clubs - ie pro bono work - I earn no money from it up to now - just about break even over a year as it really is just for doing free work. I could probably work over the internet as an English based office carrying out the work in France, coming back when needed and I might make a further few pounds - I say pounds as the firm would have to be based in England with me doing the work remotely.

I have a son aged 14, but it is likely he would be able to remain in England for his education with my sister.

Setting aside the fact that we would probably miss him too much, I would welcome anyone's view on whether this is a workable plan just to get us back on our feet and to dip our toe in the (force-ably) semi-retired water.

Really need some plan!

PS  - no real savings - I can pay off my credit cards and then that's that!

Too many if's and but's here for you to plan anything. Presumably the children would have to be supported and taxes paid, so your income drops there. And if you are resident if France, you pay French taxes and healthcare. Surely it would be better to get the legal work coming in first and then think about France when you know where you stand? IMNVHO

Hi and sorry to hear about being made recundant, not nice for anyone at any age !

Several points to consider.........

Firstly and foremost health, and if you have a complete NI record over the past two full UK tax years then you should be able to get an E106 (now S1) which, if you applied for it now or say in the next few months, would cover you until Jan 2013 after which you would have to take out private insurance, difficult if not impossible if you have pre-existing medical conditions. I note though that you are talking about a couple of years in France so if you did decide to return to UK after that then obviously that would not become an issue.

However !

Your plan to work from home in France is a problem because legally you cannot do this without either registering in France as a business, working for a UK employer with a properly establish presence in France, or working for a French employer, and in any of those situations you would no longer be entitled to the E106 as your health care would be provided via your employment.

The show stopper though I think is income. If your only source will be the taxed rent from your UK property then even if you have no expenses in UK I think you will struggle in France on what's left of £1250/mth - and that's assuming a continuous non delinquent tennancy. You will need that sort of money just for basic living never mind the cost of completing renovations.

On the face of it then, unless you are willing and able to lead an exceptionally frugal lifestyle and do your renovations yourself, in all honesty I do not see that coming to France at this time is a viable option for you, sorry [:(]

Thanks for your comments and advice  - I'm just trying to see if we have options and AnOther has clarified my wobbly thinking and Wooly speaks sense - much appreciated.

Even Bugsy's comments - makes me understand why I'm in this position - I've never received any big cheques from my clients!

Just went into Law late in life, did a degree supported by my wife and have made a living - nothing more. My wife inherited half the house we are in and we thought we were moving into a less stressed time of life - never going to be rich, but having worked hard all our lives, firstly in catering and recently in law - but still we are much better off than some so not feeling too bad - just a shock really - we'll survive

Perhaps I can offer a slightly different slant on your situation. It sems to me from reading your post that your best option is to try and make the best of your situation in the UK - where you have established family etc ties, and your business connection. I would try developing your 'one man' practice locally - trying to do this from France only complicates matters, both legally as has been pointed out, and in terms of developing your potential (English) customer base.

Regarding the French property, you could either sell it (preferably when the renovation work is finished rather than as a 'work in progess project' not generally popular with buyers) or rent it out on completion.

Hope these few thoughts help, best of luck - P-D de R.

£1250 a month is more than many French people have. However, once agency fees and commission, tax, insurance and general running and maintenance expenses are considered you are not likely to actually receive a living wage from your house so you will need extra money.

Frankly, I think doing legal work in France, even on a part-time basis, could prove a non-starter. Quite apart from the fact that running a business involves high costs, which discourage part-time businesses unless they meet the 'autoentrepreneur' restrictions, the professions are very closely controlled and regulated. If you are practicing in France - even if all your clients are non-French - you will come under that umbrella. I don't know exactly about lawyers, but even estate agents selling to the foreign market have to have either French legal qualifications or many years of documented official experience before being issued with the card that allows them to practice, so I can't see the law being any less strict.

Your only option for working in France may be to keep your work under-cover and hidden from the authorities. But that carries considerable risks. Although France largely turns a blind eye to the sort of black market work that involves doing a few extra jobs through your business and not putting them through the books, it looks rather differently on 100% 'unofficial' businesses and the penalties are severe. And neither can you fund your healthcare through black-market activities.

I was wondering, and I have no knowledge of this subject, but what if you started a one man practice in the UK as a limited company (do solicitors do Ltd companies?) only doing your work within the UK justice system for people living in the UK. The fact you then paid yourself a salary within the UK on which you would be taxed and pay NI there how would you stand? I guess there would be some travel back and forth for clients and family? You can rent a UK virual office address and phone number for a small fee. Would this put you in that grey area where you can choose where you want to be resident because you don't meet either of the criteria for being forced to be resident in either country. Perhaps then you could access the French health system by using the European Health Card or perhaps there is another legal way you can access it. I know of a guy who 'designs' insurance policies for companies and he spends 6 months in each country per year but how he gets round the health care issue I don't have clue nor if it is legal. One thing is that like the UK if you are married then only one of you has to be in the French health care system and the other 'gets in' on the back of them or so I believe.

Once again thanks for all the very supportive and helpful comments/advice. In the cold light of day - and after my two adult (26 and 28) sons tell me " don't worry Dad - we'll help you get through it" - not that they have a penny each - one a student teacher and the other not doing anything more than just being able to support himself - made me think - I can't loose with a family that loves me!!

I think it is very sensible to build on what I have in the UK - thanks for that - and maybe a few more weeks holiday than I usually get in beautiful France would be possible if things work out that way.

Onwards and upwards  - you are all good people for taking the time to think for me.

[quote user="Quillan"] One thing is that like the UK if you are married then only one of you has to be in the French health care system and the other 'gets in' on the back of them or so I believe.[/quote]

Only if the 'piggy-backing' partner is 'inactive'. If he/she is employed or self-employed (even in a different country) they are responsible for their own health assurance. (From personal experience).

The limited compnay idea was, effectively, closed a few years ago. Although a few people seem to get round it somehow - maybe legally, maybe not.