Rennes. Suggestions.

There is a direct SNCF route from Rennes through Vannes and then on along the south of Brittany.  There is also a route along the north of Brittany to Brest. In the other direction Paris is about 3 to 4 hours away.

Some  TGV trains run every day now from Rennes to Saint Malo but

there is always the normal train that will run to Saint Malo,

You can get a train from Rennes to Dinan, not sure of the connections to Dinard but you can always get the water bus

from just outside Intra Muros ~ Saint Malo (along from the B.F ferry

port) across to Dinard, lovely trip, you can see both the towns from

the ferry, wonderful.

Sorry, forgot to say, very worthwhile indeed and certainly easy enough to do.

There's a groovy museum of medieval church statuary in Rennes which is fabuloso. Also I think that is the place you can embark for trips on the marais and the golfe de Morbihan - much enlivened when I went by a party of citoyens de la troisiems age (in Britian: Saga Louts) who had a great time. Good restos (though Miki will find fault, I am comparing to school dinners)

"..................but you can always get the water bus from just outside Intra Muros ~ Saint Malo (along from the B.F ferry port) across to Dinard, lovely trip, you can see both the towns from the ferry, wonderful."

[8-|] Ah, so that's what we saw when we were waiting BF to depart last Thursday, we wondered where all these people were going.

Thanks Miki