Eurotunnel self-service check in

chrisb

Has anyone used Eurotunnel in recent days?

We're coming over tomorrow and are wondering whether we need to allow extra time. When we came over in the Winter the self check in had just started and there was a heck of a queue even though it was off-season, as people struggled with the new system.

Is it now better or worse? I fear it will be the latter as there'll be lots of people using it for the first time.

[Www]

I did it last week.  It was quite straightforward, although the machine didn't seem to want to enter the number on my ticket - it kept either missing digits or entering them twice.   In the end I managed it.   But there is the option to call someone to help you if you need, and when I was there there was one person to help for about each four check-ins, so not too bad.   I think there were about four or five people in front of my in the queue in both directions, though it was a weekday and not peak hours either.

Thanks - that doesn't sound too bad. Last time there was just one person to help everyone.

The machines worked fine - but some of the customers were finding it heavy-going. The poor lady in front of us was so worried by the instruction not to remove the hanger from the slot until it had finished printing that she waited for five minutes before daring to pull it out.

I work for the library service and we're busy introducing self service kit ourselves - and we find that people like to have their hand held the first time or two but then get to love the technology.

You can just use the same credit/debit card and not punch the numbers in.  The word Validate rather than Enter or Next etc causes some confusion, but have found it to be quite quick at 5:30 am!!

One word of warning that I would offer - the return ticket is printed on the bottom reverse of the hanger, so care when throwing this away.

I've used it a couple of times now and it seems pretty straightforward; the queues seemed to move a bit faster than the 'human' check-in, if anything. But it does lose one the opportunity, if arriving early, of smiling sweetly and grovelling for an earlier crossing...

Oh, but it automatically offers you an earlier crossing, Fay.  I have just been there and back, and could select the earlier crossing each time.

As has been said earlier, it's a doddle to stick your credit card in; you have to concentrate a bit on the questions, and Yes, "validate" does seem a funny answer to some of them. And I suppose if you haven't been asked the question about LPG before by a human being, you might wonder what it meant.

On Friday morning from Folkestone the queues were horrendous, and very slow. Returning on Tuesday evening I just whizzed through.

Angela

I paid for my crossing some time ago using my credit card which then expired and was replaced by a new one - same number, different expiry date. Just in case, I asked Eurotunnel if the need to use the same card when checking in was literally correct, but I am happy to say that they confirmed that the renewed card will work.

I will know if it does at the end of May!

Andy