credit cards

DON

Hi sorry to go over old ground but what credit cards can be used at the paeges/toll booths can we use english bank cards or french ie credit agricole thanks in advance Don

Don

Yes you can use English bank cards at the peage booths.  I have used credit and debit type of cards in the past.  Not sure if there is a UK card that doesn't work though, keeping looking back here and I'm sure someone will advise if so.

Dotty

Dotty said "Yes you can use English bank cards at the peage booths"

Unless its changed very recently Maestro/Switch do not work in the automachines.  I think you could be the cause of major hold ups on the A routes Dotty. if you try using a CB lane[:P].  Only UK visa or mastercards will be accepted and French cards marked CB which is also in big letters above the auto lanes

Not a single card from the UK works in auto petrol pumps (like in Intermarche etc) either - Visa, Switch/Maestro, Visa Delta, Amex - you name it.  The bank holiday before last it caused a few problems, namely a game of 'will the diesel in the van last until Calais', which is never my favourite game........

You need a Carte Bleue - protectionism, thats what I call it etc etc etc

Dick & BQF totally agree with what you have written.

Regarding using English credit cards in France consider applying for a card from either Nationwide, Liverpool Victoria or Saga who don't charge any conversion fee - other cards typically charge 2.75% to convert from Euros to Pounds although you may not explicity see the charge.

Of course all the above charge for withdrawls. A summary follows from www.moneysavingexpert.com

• Worldwide Travel/Spending Credit Cards.  Nationwide's credit card uniquely has no foreign exchange loading anywhere in the world.  It charges £2 or 2% for withdrawing cash, but sadly it charges interest on cash withdrawals even when fully repaid.  Yet ‘spend’ on it rather than ‘withdrawing cash’ and you’ll be quids in.

• European Travel/Spending Credit Cards.  The Saga card is the winner here, but you must be over 50 to apply.  It’s 0% loading in Europe and 1% worldwide, and its great strength is a low 1.5% or £1.50 for withdrawing cash and no interest charge if you repay in full.  

Its sister card Liverpool Victoria is top for the under-50s, with identical European Union conditions, except it does charge cash withdrawal interest when you repay in full.  Also it charges a whopping 2.75% load for non-European Union transactions, so if you may spend worldwide, stick with Nationwide
  • Regards

Andy

With regard to UK bank issued cards and automatic petrol pumps things are beginning to improve. Recently the Esso garage on the road out of Ouistreham started to accept UK cards without any hassle - providing you remember your PIN of course!

Hopefully the supermarche pumps will follow this lead.

UK Visa and Mastercards work fine at les peages as do Visa Delta debit cards but make sure your bank don't charge a set fee for debits o/s the UK - a £1 fee on top of a 1.50E peage fee is very annoying. For example, Nationwide FlexAccount debit cards don't levy a fee whereas Lloyds TSB do.

toot toot!