Airport petrol....

I don't know if this is a general thing at all airports, but at Nantes airport last weekend we needed to fill up on petrol coming back with a full tank (required) in our hire car. There is a petrol filling facility but it only takes FRENCH credit cards. Beware![8-)] However we and 2 more Brits in the same predicament were lucky enough to befriend a French guy who used his credit card to help us out in exchange for the cash equivalent. How's that for 'entente cordiale'?[:)]

roseysan

With the greatest possible respect, this problem has been so well documented in the British Press and on this Forum, that I'm amazed that anybody would be surprised.

Anyway, "Yes", exactly as you say - if it's an automatic machine, it won't take anything other than a French card. Get one, or fill up when the Caisse is open.  

Roseysan .......

Just looked back on my post from last night, and I was a bit abrupt: sorry.

However, the moral is clear: don't leave yourself short of fuel over here 'out of hours' (unless you have a French bank a/c, and even then, .........).

Been there: done it.     

I too have been in the situation where we have not been able to use the petrol stations.  Many moons ago we rolled into a filling station with an egg cup full of petrol left, only to find we couldn't fill up.  We sat for 4 hours for the attendant to show up before we could pay/fill with euros.

Many moons later we now live in France and have a carte bleu, this makes life much easier.

Hi Ian,

Guess you just had a bad day.[:D]  Because I didn't want to cross a rather high bridge into Nantes airport we came on a circuitous route via the city centre. Yes I am  a bit mad. But needless to say we couldn't find a petrol station and we needed to fill up so there was no room for complaint when we handed the keys back. The tank was obviously two drips short as my credit card was debited with an extra £10 quid on Tuesday!!  Still Normandy was rather lovely but I am on the shuttle next trip to 'view' Pas de Calais later this summer in my own car!![:)]

roseysan