Manchester to Limoges

Di

Hi everyone,

We will be travelling from Manchester to Limoges with a large trailer and 2 dogs!!

I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way to do this.  I've had a look at ferries and the tunnel , there seems to be so many options and I'm still none the wiser.

I doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest, shortest route, we won't be on a tight schedule.

Thanks

Di

(I'm sorry, but I have double posted this by mistake in another section of the forum, please don't flame me.)

Since our property is about 40 miles SW of Limoges,  we've done this MANY times now, and from a similar distance to you, Scunthorpe in North Lincs, just a bit further north than Manchester[;-)] Been doing it since 2002.

We've done it both with, (three times), and without a large box trailer.

Our preferred route is now out via Dover-Calais, usually travelling down England during the evening, to arrive at Dartford after 8pm, to avoid queues on the M25 and at the Dartford crossing.

We use the ferries, as we have shares, but it also allows you a nice break and leg stretch on board, even if you don't have to wait long. A decent break after 250 miles down the UK.

On the other side, we do A16 to Abbeville, A28 to Rouen, A13, then A154, then N154, bypassing Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, before joing A10 near Orleans.

We then branch off onto the A71 to Vierzon, before joing A20 to Limoges, where I alternate between getting off and going across country via Bellac and St Junien, or off at Limoges and across via Aixe sur Vienne and Sereilhac.

It takes about 9 hours to do the French bit with a trailer. Can be as little as 6 without, and the last 60 miles can take over 90 minutes!

I've stayed the night at various chain hotels, with and without the trailer, but now usually do it in one, with a couple of hours in the car on a service area once I get TOO tired.

Back up is the opposite direction aiming to arrive at Calais for a visit to Eastenders, then a ferry at 2000 or 2100, before coming back up England in the quieter hours.

Alcazar

Alcazar's route is fine. If you want a longer rest between England and France and you are not too fussy about the sea journey you could try Newhaven - Dieppe.

The route in France is over 100 miles shorter. You follow Alcazar's itinerary from Rouen, which is only about 35 miles from Dieppe. The English part of the journey is about 30 miles shorter.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

We will be (hopefully) coming over at the end of the year to live in a small hamlet just south of Rochechouart (Limousin), we are actually just over the border into the Dordogne.

We really want the route with the least hassle!!  We will have a very large trailer ( are there any restrictions on size of trailer with the tunnel?)two dogs and no doubt a few frazzled nerves :)  How often do trains run in the tunnel?

I want the journey to be as relaxed as possible! (I can hear you all laughing [:D])

Thanks again

Di

Oops, yes, I forgot the dogs when I wrote my reply. Not sure about Newhaven Dieppe, though, friends who have used it were singularly unimpressed.

I'd be inclined to use the tunnel, then get the driver, and dogs, frequent rests at motorway aires. There are even resting places, both with, and without petrol, on the N154 part of my route, although S. of Chartres is a bit bare of facilities, until you hit the A10 again, then theres an aire and a service area within about 20 miles of getting onto it.

If you want hassle-free, get plenty of rest, even if all you do is walk a bit with the dogs. Be prepared for it to take longer, (my missis never is), but you'll arrive feeling better.

Not sure about trailer sizes in the tunnel, but caravans go through OK, and I can't see anyone towing a trailer larger than a 'van.

JUST south of Rochechouart? There's about 25km between Rochechouart and the Dordogne. We're about 4km N.of the Dordogne border, near to St Mathieu. Where are you/will you be?

Alcazar

Hi Alcazar,

Wow, thats such a coincidence!  We are just south of St Mathieu,  just outside Champniers et Reilhac.  We are just about to post the compromis back to the notaire and have been given a guide date of 30th September.

It seems a long way off and I know there is a long way to go before we sign the Acte de Vente, but we are hoping everything goes smoothly and we can't help starting to plan things.

I just hope we are not jumping the gun!!

Di

Dogs stay in your car, without any mid-journey access, so the short Dover/Calais ferry route may suit your dogs rather than any of the long routes. Can they cope alone for seven or eight hours (Portsmouth/Caen)? The long crossing would give you the chance to sleep overnight, fresh for an early start the next day.

A major advantage of the tunnel is that you can sit with your animals throughout the journey.

Also check the possibility of Folkstone/Boulogne which CF members rate highly in terms of price, but do they handle dogs?

The journey described earlier (Alcazar) is well tried and tested and improves every year with the addition of more dual-carriageway sections. There is now a possible alternative, more suited to the trip towing the trailer, using the A28 starting just south of Rouen. We haven't tried it yet because it prevents us visiting Chartres, our regular dog stop, but other members think it is a big improvement.

Alistair

I suppose what it comes down to is convenience.

If the tunnel costs more, it doesn't really matter.  It is a one-off , one way journey( I hope).

I certainly wouldn't want to leave the dogs for several hours, so I suppose its the Dover - Calais ferry or the tunnel. It looks to me like the tunnel is the less hassle route. (Or have I got that wrong?)

Alcazar's route looks good, so we will probably take that.

Thanks again

Di

I regularly take my dog to France and now always use the tunnel. I used BF to Caen once, but the car deck was very hot and our dog was quite distressed at the end of the trip. The tunnel is fast and painless for animals, and if the steward is a dog lover and your at the back of the carriage they even let you get them out for a stroll!

the tunnel takes cars and buses even large ones-they have a section of the train which is the full height instead of the double decker used for cars only.

since only 35 minutes crossing more comfy  for you and dogs(wife optional).

we always use moterway all the way down to charles de gaulle airport then via n104 -a free dual carriageway around paris -a bit like m25 but not busy and although a few kms. extra and cost of tolls a less stressful drive with plenty of stopping places and airs.moterway free south of vierzon about the last 100 miles of the journey

The southern stretch of the A1, around Paris, and the Northern parts of the A10 less stressful? Than what? A visit to a dentist with no anaesthetic available?

Take my advice, give Paris a miss[;-)]

Did it last year when the wife fancied Hull-Zeebrugge, it took 1 hour 40 minutes to get round it! Less than 20 miles in that time! The last 20 miles on the A1 and the first 30 on the A10 were horrendous. Not for me, I'm afraid, I prefer the open, empty A16 and A28.

Alcazar

We normally do the Dover Calais crossing then drive via Rouen and

Chartres and then across to Orleans.  From south of Chartres it's

A roads all the way to Limoges.  Having said that, we did the A10

/ A1 route via Paris last week (We did the trip from Dordogne back to

Stoke (about 3/4 hour south of you) in one hit - left at 8.30am 

and arrived back home at 11.pm).  It was MOH who decided he wanted

to try Paris this time (I wanted to avoid it like the plague!). 

It wasn't actually that bad (we went around Paris at about 4 - 5 ish on

a Sunday afternoon which probably made a difference!).  The route

was quite straightforward - the only issue re other traffic was three

spanish truckers who were racing each other all around the perifique

(sp) and cutting up all the other drivers.  Whether we would go

that route again though I'm not sure.  We reckon it saved us a 1/2

to 3/4 hour but, omg, the additional tolls - it was a lot more expensive!

Going the Rouen route the only tricky bit is Rouen itself - heading

south just keep following the signs for the A13 to Paris - once on the

A13 you'll see the signs for Chartres / Orleans (you need to come off

the A13 south of Rouen - if that makes sense!).

Kathie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Di,

just seen your post. We bought our holiday/future retirement home last January which is also near St Mathieu! We swim in the lake there. If you want to make contact and maybe meet up when we are all there please do. I am happy to give you any local info that you might need.

Lil

I do the same route as alcazar and it is very straightforward, I always used to go round Paris, but it does not matter what time of day you go it is always busy, alcazar,s route is more relaxing and lots of nice places to stop for lunch.I am taking my cat this year as I will be staying for three months and have booked the tunnel as I cannot stand the thought of her being on the car deck as it is very noisy and she is quite nervous.I did laugh it was £49.00 for car and two passengers and £30.00 for lily the cat. I leave the route at limoges and head off in the direction  of Eymoutiers.Just remember if you travel on a Sunday you will find it very difficult to get petrol if you are not on a motorway, so fill up before you  book in for the tunnel.Good Luck.