Brittany Ferries height regs

I've booked a crossing Portsmouth-Cherbourg with BF, using the standard vehicle height of 1.83 metres. Now I think I might take the roof box, which would take the total height to 1.98 metres. Am I likely to get away with this at check-in, both directions, without reaching for wallet ?

It depends when you go. On most routes this governs whether the hoistable mezzanine car decks are in use or not - they are deployed at busier times. If so, you will probably be asked to pay the higher vehicle rates, and be loaded on the lower level. This has the advantage that you get off quicker. If not, they might let you get away with it. Though some of the ships can carry vehicles up to about 2m on the upper deck

As you are going to Cherbourg from Portsmouth you are probably on the fast ferry, so will almost certainly be asked to pay. You may do better to change the booking before arriving at the port. P&O used to get quite snotty about turning up with something that had different measurements, though I've always found BF to be more accommodating. But as BF seems to have some ex-P&O staff you might well have the misfortune to come across a right jobsworth at check-in. Altering the vehicle height should not attract an amendment fee with BF, though it may with some other carriers.

Some years ago they had 3 height limits, the lowest being 1.48 metres(?). In those days we booked by phone, and for some reason they booked our old Renault Espace in as being within the lower band. It wasn't, and we had to go on standby. We were number 2 of 6, but they didn't load the standby vehicles in order and we ended up being left all alone on the dockside.   

As it happens we were taking a double mattress over to our cottage, and had visions of spending the night there, but we ended up being squeezed onto their freight ship, the Purbeck. That was an experience, especially going up & down on the lorry lift & being told that whatever we did, don't open the door!

On balance, I think I would change the booking.