Questions about the SNCF ticket kiosks at the Gare de Lyon

tenniswitch

I have a rather tight connection to make next week between CDG and a train departing from the Gare de Lyon.  Unfortunately, it's a "reservation obligatoire" train and I cannot (physically) get my ticket ahead of time.

Having previously (and ignorantly) hopped ticket-less onto a train in a similar situation (when queuing for a ticket would have caused us to miss the train), I know that isn't a good idea.

So, in case I'm running late and there are the usual long lines, I have a few questions about the ticket kiosks.

1. Is there a choice of language (English) or do I have to rely on my French?

2. Do the kiosks accept foreign (in my case US) credit cards or will I need to use my Credit Ag carte?

3. Are there any little tricks or kiosk quirks that I should know about?

Any information or advice will be gratefully received.

1. They'll have enough English, but your French will be fine - after all it's just "Where to", "How many", "Which Class"

2. Any card - just takes a few secs longer with a non-French one

3. Don't know.

Just a thought - you're obviously heading south and quite possibly on the TGV.  Are you aware that there's a TGV station at CDG which provides an interchange for southbound TGV's ex Lille heading for the south?  All trains stop there.  Could well be easier than flogging in to the city centre.  I'm guessing, but they're probably hourly or so: can check out the timings if you need help.  Obviously would need to know eta, date, destination.  

[quote user="KathyC"]Would it not be possible for you to book on line? You can then print your ticket out before you leave. This way you will save time and you'll also have a guaranteed reservation.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the option to print online doesn't appear to be available for the tickets for that train.  I can book on line but then have to go to a kiosk or window for the ticket.

Also, there's always the possibility that my flight will be delayed (last time we were 5 hours late, which was what got me in a jam in the first place) and I'll have to take another train.

It was a lot easier when you could just hop on the train and buy a ticket without penalty.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

1. They'll have enough English, but your French will be fine - after all it's just "Where to", "How many", "Which Class"

2. Any card - just takes a few secs longer with a non-French one

3. Don't know.

Just a thought - you're obviously heading south and quite possibly on the TGV.  Are you aware that there's a TGV station at CDG which provides an interchange for southbound TGV's ex Lille heading for the south?  All trains stop there.  Could well be easier than flogging in to the city centre.  I'm guessing, but they're probably hourly or so: can check out the timings if you need help.  Obviously would need to know eta, date, destination.  

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, I've used that station when heading to Lyon.  Unfortunately, there's no feasible TGV connection for our area.  It's about a 5 hour trip with a change in Clermont, and I'm trying to arrive before all the shops close so that I can pick up something for the next morning's breakfast.

Best of luck, and I really mean that. Every time I've had to queue for tickets, whether connections are tight or not, I've found the French in front of me in usual "French" mode, ie: they need to know EVERYTHING about their train including what colour undies the driver wears and when was the last time he changed them, before they'll buy a ticket.

Alcazar