NEW JOURNEY

bixy

In a couple of weeks I will be undertaking what for me is a completely new journey - Calais to Chartres. The website routefinders give a route via Rouen. Is this the best way? Are there any particular black spots/places to avoid? Any idea how long this might take, setting off early afternoon? All advice great ly appreciated.

I did the reverse journey in less time last Sunday. Kevin is right to highlight the time of day as being important though. Rouen can be busy, but on Sunday afternoon we just sailed through, it was almost like a ghost town.

There is a toll of 1E 80c to pay just south of Rouen.

If you need petrol there is a 24/7 LeClerc between Evreux and Dreux.

Good luck.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]I did the reverse journey in less time last Sunday. Kevin is right to highlight the time of day as being important though. Rouen can be busy, but on Sunday afternoon we just sailed through, it was almost like a ghost town. There is a toll of 1E 80c to pay just south of Rouen. If you need petrol there is a 24/7 LeClerc between Evreux and Dreux. Good luck. Hoddy[/quote]

Not sure if you are aware of this but the 24/7 card machines for petrol will not work with an English credit card. French only.

Rouen can be busy, but is easy: follow signs for the "A13 Paris", as already noted. IMMEDIATELY after crossing the Seine, (about three miles after exiting the tunnel), look for a SHARP right turn, that goes round and under your origianal road, and parallels the Seine and the railway yards. It's VERY sharp and almost hidden, so easy to miss.

Later, after crossing the "cowabout", (large roundabout with concrete cows: where do they think they are, MK???), again look for signs A13 Paris, get into left lane when signed, it's easy to get into wrong lane here.

On A13, look for a large stainless statue of a sphere with arrows, on your left, called "Sur la trace des Vikings". Start looking for signs off to the right to A154 "Evreux".

After that, it's plain sailing.

On the return, it's look for the statue, then look for signs for "Boulogne"., both now on your right, of course.

When in Rouen, and after crossing the Seine, best advice is "If there are three lanes, keep in the middle one, until you reach the tunnel", otherwise, follow signs for Boulogne, Calais.

It CAN be done in far less than 4 hours 30, but bank on that, and you won't be far out.

There's a nice Ibis at Chartres Luce, too............

Alcazar

I have a good tip for being sure to get onto "that road" through the industrial estate.  When you go through the tunnel at Darentel, get in the slow lane and STAY THERE.  Resist all temptation to change lanes after that and you will automatically end up on the correct road.  Works every time.