ANGOULEME AIRPORT?

• 2 weeks later...
Just seen an article in the Charente Libre about Angouleme Airport. It appears they want to set up a low cost link with Great Britain (Ryanair) but there are 2 major obstacles.

1. There are no customs officers now at Angouleme as they've all been transferred to Poitiers. The government will return them if the traffic exceeds 100,000 passangers per annum.

2. They need to pay for 3 air traffic controllers at a cost of 250,000 euros per annum

In addition the runway needs to be modernised.

As an alternative they have proposed using Cognac airport which has the requisite customs and ATCs but it would mean working on the same airfiel as the French Air Force. Ryanair is not happy with this option as it will be too close to the new Rochefort/La Rochelle airport and would prefer to land at Angouleme (The attraction of the dualled N10 would allow then to advertise it as Bordeaux! - my comment)

The upshot is new enquiry with a target date of June 2007 to start the service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote user="Hotspur"]Bit slow to get back to you. There are plans to build anew airport for La Rochelle near to Rochefort. It has been mooted for some time but I'm not sure what the progress is.[/quote]

That's interesting.Last year they used Rochefort when La Rochelle was closed.There seems plenty of parking there  and it is easy to reach.Is it going ahead or just being mooted?

[quote user="Anna"]

Just wondered if anyone has any further info re the opening (or not!) of Angoulême airport? I've had a look on the Ryanair website but can't find anything about it there.

Anna

[/quote]

Sorry, all seems to have gone quiet on this front. My neighbours think it is all going to happen, but they're French and haven't been exposed to Ryanair's methods! The airport improvements are in hand but the rest will depend on the whim of the Irish.

[quote user="Lizzie15"]

[quote user="Hotspur"]Bit slow to get back to you. There are plans to build anew airport for La Rochelle near to Rochefort. It has been mooted for some time but I'm not sure what the progress is.[/quote]

That's interesting.Last year they used Rochefort when La Rochelle was closed.There seems plenty of parking there  and it is easy to reach.Is it going ahead or just being mooted?

[/quote]

Nothing recently in the Charente Libre. I think the new airport was linked with the construction of the new A831 autoroute, which is currently stalled.

We have just returned from Angouleme and estate agents are saying that Ryan Air will be flying into Angouleme next year. The runway is being extended. More info  would be helpful if anyone can update.