BF - Portsmouth to Cherbourg

normandie

Now that there's no BF - Portsmouth to Cherbourg crossing during the winter (except one xmas trip), and the Southampton to Cherbourg flights have stopped am I missing any tricks to get to Cherbourg?

I know I can get to Caen but the times aren't that great.

I've even checked out trains to St Lo from London but it's not quick - morevover it's £175 each way!

I guess this just a seasonal nuisance - but just thought I'd check - no cheap flights to Cherbourg for example?

Enjoy the weekend!

Normandie

Thanks - I'll have a look at LD lines - but I thought the drive was longer than 1 hr - more like 2 hrs which isn't so great if I want to go as a foot passenger and get collected ... I'll check!

(Poole isn't great for me being in London - but thanks for the thought!)

Normandie

There is a new service starting between Cherbourg and Portsmouth next January. Details are still rather vague, it is run by a company called Celtic Link (which runs a freight service between Cherbourg and Rosslare, though does take a few car passengers too). The new service looks as if it is also targeted at freight traffic, but I have seen reports of the ship having additional accommodation added before it enters service so maybe it will take passengers as well as trucks. After all, that's how Norfolk Lines began its Dunkirk service.

I'm surprised you say Portsmouth is easier for you. As a foot passenger I assume ou will be travelling by train. The journey from Staines to Poole only involves one change (as opposed to two to Portsmouth) and only takes 30 minutes longer (2h45m against 2h15m). The railway stations in Poole and Portsmouth are about the same distance from the ferryport.

If you are driving then parking is much easier at Poole - and cheaper too I believe.  It shouldn't take you more than about half an hour longer to drive to Poole than Portsmouth.

With the ferry crossing being only 4h15m from Poole then this more than makes up for the extra half hour travelling to the port.

Have you checked out voyages-sncf.com?  I had a email from them today with new offers, one of which is London for 70 euros return.  Sometimes if you split the journey and book 2 seperate tickets (ie London to Paris and then Paris to St Lo for example) it works out much cheaper. 

I used LD lines this week - 95 euros for car and club class.  Took me just under 2 hours to drive from Le Havre to Carentan, will certainly use them again.

Flybe are still flying from Southampton to Rennes as well.  If I remember correctly, there is a train service from Rennes to St Lo, so that might also be worth looking at.