Telepeage doofer........

Alcazar

[quote user="Markw"]

... turned out I could leave it in the glove box on my dashboard and worked just as well....[/quote]

That's interesting. 
Someone did tell me that when not using mine (i.e. between trips) I should keep it in its double layer of silvery packaging. He said that if I ever had it with me in a bag in somebody else's vehicle it would clock up the tolls even if the other person was paying by some other method.  So don't throw that packaging away!

Angela

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="Markw"]

... turned out I could leave it in the glove box on my dashboard and worked just as well....[/quote]

That's interesting. 
Someone did tell me that when not using mine (i.e. between trips) I should keep it in its double layer of silvery packaging. He said that if I ever had it with me in a bag in somebody else's vehicle it would clock up the tolls even if the other person was paying by some other method.  So don't throw that packaging away!

Angela

[/quote]

Absolutely! It even says so on the silver packaging.

Alcazar

[quote user="Tom"]

I  find that the gates for cards only very rarely have queues.

Obviously it's  not as quick as a doofer,  but you just put in the ticket, then your UK or French credit/debit card, and away you go. No PIN required.

[/quote]

We do that as well, Tom.  Never had to queue to pay by card.  Given we don't use the motorway daily and when we do I don't mind us taking a couple of secs longer than the telepeage, there's no point in us occasional users getting a doofer.   But I guess if you have to use a very busy peage regularly it makes sense.

...or if you travel on your own a lot in a right-hand drive car!

(Mind you I suppose there might be a certain fitness-inducing element to putting car in neutral, engaging handbrake, unbuckling seatbelt, leaping out, sprinting round car to get ticket/pay/use card, sprinting back, leaping in, filing ticket/credit card/change where you won't forget where it is, buckling up seatbelt and getting car moving again before exhausting patience of drivers following. Especially in wind/rain/snow...  [;-)] )

Angela

It all depends on the time of year. On some of the autoroutes around cities, particularly in the South, on which tolls are charged it is possible to save a lot of time with the telepeage if travelling at rush hours. In those circumstances I have considered it paid its way. For us the big benefit is on a summer weekend going south at the tolls at Abbeville where there are often queues even in the credit card lane and returning going North at Boulogne on a Sunday evening - this is very variable, sometimes the CC lane is empty other times the queue is as long as the cash booths.

The other time I thought it money well spent was when some jerk in a large UK 4x4 car tailgated me (inches) on the approach to the Herquelinque (sp) tolls outside Boulogne and followed me into the Telepeage lane, himself followed by other vehicles - presumably French (ho ho).

We didn't see them again until they whizzed past us just prior to Abbeville where they joined a long queue for the toll booths as we sailed into the Telepeage lane again. We didn't see them again prior to Rouen. Childish I know, but it gave all my passengers a laugh.

Tom, you have obviously never been on the A6 southbound or A7 Northbound at Lyon on a summer weekend.  Typical queue on the card booths - 40 minutes.

Typical queue on the telepeage - 1 vehicle.

Yesterday even at the Bourg St Maurice peage* (where I hear you say - exactly my point say I) there was a 15 minute queue.

*A36 Dole to Belfort just before Montbelliard

I'm just happy not to have to wake wife up to pay........or for me to have to run round the car when she won't stir!

Oh, and I LOVE the looks on the French driver's faces when they warn me NOT to use the telepeage lane, then realise I've got one[:D]

Alcazar

[quote user="Alcazar"]

Oh, and I LOVE the looks on the French driver's faces when they warn me NOT to use the telepeage lane, then realise I've got one[:D]

[/quote]

Almost as good as the look on the Dutch driver's face who slipped out of the middle of 40 minute queue and followed my german regsitered car through to the T lane, thinking "This guy knows something I don't" - which of course is right.  I know he won't get through and that he is going to upset a lot of telepage drivers as he tries to reveerse his car and trailer out of the lane.

• 4 weeks later...
hi Laphroaig57,

used mine for the first time at the weekend. First time thru held it above the rear view mirror (black dotted zone on Scenic's windscreen) - it bleeped okay then pulled over, peeled off the backing and pressed hard to the glass - and it's still there!

The height limit is 2.0m - I would recommend you measure and then measure again the height of your car plus roof box. If you can get through a "normal" carte bleu lane which also has a 2.0m height limit fully boxed then you should be okay for the Liber-t lane.

Worth it's weight (X10) in gold - queue where A28 joined A29 south bound was 20 plus cars long - no queue at all at the Liber-t lane - sailed right thru. Also returned home next day all alone and didn't have to reach across and out of the passenger window once - joy! Wish I'd invested years ago!

Also used a SatNav toy for the first time and deliberately took some "wrong" turns - that worked a treat too (but that ought to be AN Other thread..)

HTH

Andy

hi Egger

........it's a device about the size of a box of kitchen matches that picks up a signal from a sensor above the Liber-t lane at autoroute peage stations and automatically raises the barrier and lets you through.You usually install them above the rear view mirror (altho' it may work from anywhere in the car).

You can get them from any of the autoroute companies. I got mine from Sanef. Paid a 30euro deposit, costs 2euro a month to "rent" (altho' 1st 3 months are free) and you get billed for the toll charges incured. You don't need a french bank account or credit card as thye accept a UK debit card number for billing.

Here's the link http://www.sanef.com/fr/ecommerce/particulier/index.jsp

HTH

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just used mine for first time yesterday....So damn easy........and the looks on French Drivers faces.   They really think you going to make fool of yourself and cannot believe when barrier raises.

Wish I had got one years ago.     All the worry too about where it was placed.    Just pulled it out from glove compartment when approaching T lane and chucked it on dashboard.      Thing bleeped and through we went.    Easy as that.

Yes they really are a great investment. I have had mine nearly 3 years now (I posted about them then as I was so impressed!) and the only problem is when using my wife's Peugot as you have to hold it in just the right place by the rear view mirror for it to work. Not a big deal and we are quite used to it now. The other downside is the big bill at the end of the month when we have driven to the Var and back! Seems to be more than when you pay as you go but of course it isn't!

We too have had many occasions of hooting and waving when we have driven into the Telepeage lane. Always makes me smile. 

I just wish that they would have dedicated lanes on the Dartford River Crossing too - I have a 'doofer' for want of a better word (It is actually a Dart Tag) which works on all lanes but without a dedicated lane other drivers often go through the one that is supposed to give priority to Dart Tag which slows it all down. Also you have to top up the tag regularly rather than the better French system of charging your bank for all use during the month.

Andy