Removal Company

mint

i don't quite know which section to post this question and i suppose my household effects are, in a sense, travelling to france, aren't they?

the day is fast approaching when we are going to be going over lock, stock and barrel.  i am confused by the bewildering choice of removal companies and the services they offer

we are ditching a lot of our junk (clean, minimalist start has to be the order of the day) but it's still amazing the amount of "stuff" we have managed to acquire

can anyone recommend a removal company they have used?

bear in mind that we are in south wales so please recommend accordingly

thanks in anticipation

Hi Sweet 17,

What a good choice you have made with your place to move to (17). we are near Montguyon. We used  Lawlers of Derbyshire would rate them 6-7 out of 10.  Poor on the loading side, as the estimated time to load was way out. They started at 2.00pm and finished at 9.30 and had it not been for our help I think they would still be loading by breakfast.  However nothing lost after a change of vehicles and a minor bit of damage covered by insurance

They changed the crew for the delivery and these guys had got their act together and we enjoyed a bottle of Champagne in the back of their lorry when half empty as the rain descended.

Lawlers came up to North Yorks from South of Sheffield.

Not sure if i would use them again. Don't have much left in UK now which still needs to be brought over and what does come over fits into the car.

Have a good trip over and if you need any help please email etc.

Best wishes

David J

My mum used them too.   I'd give the crew 12/10 for effort, friendliness and efficiency beyond the call of duty, but the owner of the company round about 2.  Don't think I can probably go into detail on here or it will get pulled.  But I cancelled by booking with them on the back of my mum's experience.  PM for details if you want them.

I hired a Luton van from a local company and drove it down myself. I had planned to drive it back and come back down on the motorbikes, but the barand new van gave up the ghost down here. The whole story is on my blog. To cut it short, the rental company had no problem getting the van recovered and sorted out transport to get us to the bikes in the UK. Total hire cost for 8 days was around £600 two years ago.

hi everybody who have answered and many thanks.  of course, it's just as important to know which ones to avoid as which ones to use

have now decided to use a broker to do all the boring bits like matching up companies for us.

will post a message about experience in case it is of help to others on the forum

thanks, all

Sweet17

We used Fox & Sons to move usto Poland a few years back. This involved them storing our stuff for a couple of weeks in Cardiff, then re-loading and delivery. They used a Polish contractor to drive it over and unload it the other end. Sadly, our swimming pool went missing and there were a few breakages - the service by both companies was excellent (packing and then unpacking), but we really felt that the insurance company was a rip-off when we went to claim for the loss and damage - like trying to get the proverbial blood from a stone - and it wasn't cheap either. I would really question whether the insurance is worth it after that experience, but we have still taken it out on the two moves since.

Good Luck

Warren

• 1 month later...

[quote user="rusheslake"]Why not give my good friend Dave a call on 0033 0243 698332 We have moved a lot of people from uk to france and vice versa Im sure he will give you a very competitive price...Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian, does Dave have a website?

Thanks.

As an aside does anyone have experience of moving within France and from our standpoint say from Normandie to the Lot y Garonne?  Are these such animals as removal firms here in France?

When we moved from the UK discarded most stuff and bought here from a variety of sources and this needs to be moved from (50)

rdgs

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

Are these such animals as removal firms here in France?

[/quote]

Try Pages Jaune under Demenagement (I think that is spelt right, but without the accents) - we are using the depot of a firm in the Charente for storage, so they definitely exist.

Hi sweet 17,

I am moving from the UK to Pas de Calais in September this year. I have tried to get quotes and have used the broker service you mentioned. I thought it was tres expensive as the entire journey is just over 320 miles (640 return). So I called Afford van rentals and I can have a Luton van for 4 days for £500 all inclusive (escept for breakdown insurance which you organise yourself. This way it will mean 2 crossings, but I guess as a single female I may need the services of 2 hunky men to assist!![:D] If I do my sums right it should cost less than £1000 in total. Which makes it half the price the broker quoted me.

Good Luck anyway

roseysan

roseysan

just be careful to check out first how the hunky men wish to be paid!  are you going to put english hunky men into the van so that they can unload at the french end or are you going to get new french hunkies at pas de calais?

don't go yet if you can avoid it, roseysan.  it's going to be perishingly cold at the moment

all the best with the move.  hope the hunkies live up to expectation!