London Hotel?

Frogslegs

Not really sure where to post this as it is about England? Our first trip back to Blighty together in 6 years and we want to stay in London for two nights. Somewhere near theatres, sights ect. Any recommendations. People think we are mad, are they? Having lived on the Isle of Wight for 6 years after leaving rural Essex and now living in Deux Sevres is it going to be a shock to the system going to the city after 13 years?

maria

www.le-tilleul.com

Why should you be mad to want to stay for a couple of nights in London? If an English resident wanted a short break in Paris they certainly wouldn't be derided [:D]. It will be like visiting a foreign capital city for you, and I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. Don't believe all the stories you may find in the English media. London as as safe, clean and friendly as any other major European city, and just as attractive too. Though it can, like most capitals, be expensive.

I can't speak from personal experience as we have a house less than an hour's train journey from the centre of London so have no need of hotels there. But I have heard several good reports about the Rubens Hotel by Victoria Station, excellent value for money, and I am sure Cooperlola's suggestions are good as well. If these are over your budget then a search of 'budget hotel London' will give you a very wide choice. When I have to go overseas I find the SNCF web site very good for combined travel and hotel bookings, wherever I go and however I travel (doesn't have to be by train). I have found some really good value hotels that way (and a really disgusting one in Hamburg but that's another story altogether).

It also depends when you are travelling. Rooms in student halls of residence can often be booked for stays during holiday periods, very central and very reasonable cost. See http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/ for example.

Agree with all points so far - I live in the West End so have no need of hotels but it is safe (if not always as clean as we'd like) but you need to remember that you are in a big city and there are many con artists - watch your handbag/wallet - keep tucked away - in the crowded conditions pick pockets are very active.  As for hotels, Charing Cross Hotel also convenient for theatres etc, but honestly I walk from just north of Oxford Circus to near Victoria every day and it takes about 30 minutes - so nowhere within the circle line is that far from anywhere else and certainly walkable.  Even the buses move relatively smoothly usually due to the congestion charge having some effect on the mountains of traffic.

My other suggestion (similar to Will's) due to the cost of hotels in London you may find it more cost effective to try a package - I presume there are companies (like Leisure Direction here) which do packages, and the sncf is certainly worth looking at.  I would suggest that north of the river is pleasanter and more expensive, and though some areas south of the river are fine, you do have to cross the river to most of the tourist bits of London (exccept the GLobe, the Old Vic, Tate Modern etc) so that may influence your choice.  Some areas south of the river are certainly less pleasant and more tatty.  The walk to Waterloo over the new Hungerford bridge (good views of the London Eye - and worth a trip on if it is clear) is pleasant and only marrred by the poor signage on the south side of the river!  Hotels near Victoria tend to be cheaper, but are further away from the West End (near to Parliament though (10 mins walk from my office!) and then it is not a long walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Sq and the West End.

Often finding a hotel just off the main thoroughfares (eg not on Oxford Street but in a side street nearby) may be more cost effective and likely to be less noisy.  London doesn't seem to sleep much these days!

Hope that helps

We hope to get something reasonable for £100 per night, we are staying with friends in Dorchester than taking the train to Waterloo. As suggested, better to cross the river for a hotel. I am going to feel like a tourist even though I worked as graphic artist in London 30 years ago! But what I liked then Camden Market, Oxford Street, is not what I want to see now..except perhaps a good rock band at either Hammersmith Odeon or Roundhouse....are they still there?

Yes, the Hammersmith Odeon (now the Hammersmith Apollo, which apparently was its original name) is very much still in business, and you could well come across names from 30 years ago - 10cc, Buzzcocks, Wishbone Ash, Hawkwind, Meatloaf, even Cliff Richard for f***'s sake, seem to be on the list.

The Roundhouse is still there, but has gone all arty. There are plenty of other good venues: probably more, certainly offering a greater diversity, than back then.

You should certainly get a very decent place to stay for £100 a night or so. The hotel I suggested above is in that bracket, and there will be plenty more.

My french friends, (campagnards) absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back. Another friend of mine takes her english class (also campagnards) over each year and they love it too................. so really, why shouldn't you.

London is London, it is bustling and hectic and what else would one expect. One hasn't got to 'join' in other people's busy'ness, one can observe and do things in one's own time. There is so much to do and not everything need cost anything or much, we just love mooching around.

Yes you will get something half decent for £100 a night. Last time we went I called the Comfort Inn  group and negociated a great price to stay in the South Kensington Comfort Inn, that was where we wanted as it is close to Earl's Court. But why not try it where you want to be.

[quote user="Frogslegs"]

We hope to get something reasonable for £100 per night, we are staying with friends in Dorchester than taking the train to Waterloo. As suggested, better to cross the river for a hotel. I am going to feel like a tourist even though I worked as graphic artist in London 30 years ago! But what I liked then Camden Market, Oxford Street, is not what I want to see now..except perhaps a good rock band at either Hammersmith Odeon or Roundhouse....are they still there?

[/quote]

At that price all the ones mentioned already would be fine - also the premier travel inn chain (sorry book at home, look on web under that) have several in London, and they are under that price (and there is one near the Eye in the old county hall at £92 per room which would be handy for all the tourist sites and 5 mins walk to Waterloo and the same across Westminster bridge and thus into theatre land).  I stayed in one last weekend in the north and they are more than adequate as far as I can see - and open 24 hours which was just as well given the time we left London on Friday evening!  You could do worse!

Have a look at lastminute.com - their 'Top Secret' hotels are always a good deal for posh places at non-posh prices. We've done this a few times, and have ended up at The Selfridge Hotel for £65 a night, at the Thistle Marble Arch for £60 a night, and the Kensington Tara for £68 a night - all something like 30% of thee normal rates. They're all 4 or 5 star and though they won't tell you where they are until you've booked they will tell you the location, and you can usually work it out!

Kalba

[quote user="Frogslegs"]

Not really sure where to post this as it is about England? Our first trip back to Blighty together in 6 years and we want to stay in London for two nights. Somewhere near theatres, sights ect. Any recommendations. People think we are mad, are they? Having lived on the Isle of Wight for 6 years after leaving rural Essex and now living in Deux Sevres is it going to be a shock to the system going to the city after 13 years?

maria

www.le-tilleul.com

[/quote]

Whenever I need to go to London I stay at the Mostyn Hotel on Bryanston Street. It is just 50 yards off Oxford Street at the Marble Arch end of it. Last time (some 12 months ago) I paid £70 per night per person (daughter was with me).

At the opposite end of Bryanston Street there is a lovely Indian restaurant with a slight French twist as the cuisine is mostly from Pondichéry the French part of India, the bit we had before Clive of India embezzled us of it [;-)]... The food is just very good. If you can't make up your mind about which dish to have, go for their 'thali' which is a selection tray of dishes from their menu. You will never have so much delicious food on your plate!... Quite an experience....

Sorry Edit : The restaurant is called 'La Porte des Indes'

I don't know if this helps, but I thought the train fare was a bit much so I looked it up, taking travel over a weekend in March as a random example, and came up with a range of return fare options from £24.10 (standard class Apex return) to £78.80 for a fully open standard class return. These are per person - was your figure for two, because that might tie in with the standard saver at £50.20 each)? The site I used was http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/, where you can also pre-book tickets. The Apex ticket ties you to a particular train, whereas the saver is much more flexible (though slightly less so than the open ticket).

Ridgmount Hotel,  67 Gower Street WC1 (020 7580 7060)  clean, basic, family run hotel at well under £100a night, with a good breakfast.  But apparently only half the rooms have ensuite.  Or so my ex-boss who lives across the road tells me.  His son and daughter-in-law from New York stay there when they are in London.  Walking distance to British Museum, several tube stations, Covent Garden etc.

Thanks Will, I did check and you are correct 31st of March returning 1 April is £100 return for two! Website is not clear...anyway after a very looooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg process this morning having repeated all requests numerous times, you than have to choose a vendor? Only remembered British Rail and they were not there...chose oneline...problems with postcode....chose virgin...same problem...after one hour....found out they do not send tickets abroad?? Going to email friend in Dorchester and ask her to book tickets! 

Thank you for making me check again!

[quote user="Will "]

Don't believe all the stories you may find in the English media. London as as safe, clean and friendly as any other major European city, and just as attractive too.

[/quote]

Except possibly Copenhagen. And Stockholm. And Helsinki.

Still, London is (as far as I am concerned) the BEST city in the world, even if I really don't want to live there any more. If you are up for a real no-holds-barred spend fest, Blake's Hotel is a wonderful place to stay.

[quote user="Will "]Yes, been to those Jon, they are perfectly OK, and I still think London stacks up pretty well.[/quote]

Like I say, best city in the world. [:)] Beats the pants of Paris, New York, Milan, Tokyo, Sydney & Rio. But clean, safe & friendly? I don't think so. Safe, clean & friendly is just so....dull! I am a fan and I hope that the city never changes. I like the grime, the bedlem and the "sod you" attitude of so many of those dealing with the public in a service capacity. Things were not improved for me when cabbies started to improve their image, nor when the North side of Trafalger square was closed to traffic. The congestion zone was a retrograde step - I enjoyed the traffic chaos. A day walking through London amidst all the activity is never a wasted one.

As far as I am concerned a visit to London may shortly be the only reason I can have for hauling my carcass across the Channel at all. Mind you, I could never live there again.

Found  a hotel...Sanctury House opposite  Westminster Abbery, has a pub downstairs where we can get a guinness and fish and chips! Found a website called www.hotel.com where guests write about their accommodation and this one had glowing reports, plus we only pay (I say only loosely) £95 each night instead of the usual £135.

Really looking forward to our first trip back in 6 years. Many thanks for all the recommendations.

Maria[kiss]

www.le-tilleul.com