Coach trip to Poitiers/Ruffec from the Uk

Chezstevens

[quote user="Chezstevens"]

Hello,

My Sister wants to visit us in July and is looking at the options, however suffers from fear of flying, has anybody any website addresses for coach trips (not tours) with a drop-off at Ruffec, Poitiers.

I have done a search but nothing came of it.

Thank you

Vern

[/quote]

Eurolines serve Poitiers from London Victoria try http://www.eurolines.com/

Well as Eurolines are very popular not to say a darn site cheaper than the train, perhaps you would like to support your opinion with some facts like dates,  company involved etc.  Contrary to what you have "heard", all the people I know that have used Eurolines to France, to Poitiers, Toulouse and Montabaun which are all one stop trip from London, on the Ferry,  no changing trains etc in Paris have had no problems. 

Our Sons have taken Eurolines, some years ago now but once they used the TGV (no changing at Paris, they chose the TGV to change only at Lille and that is simplicity itself for Angoulême, which I believe stops at Poitiers), they were certainly never going to use the coach again.

The coach was sometimes late in arriving, sometimes by some time as well, no dates, only the years and no name of the coach drivers [Www] and much whinging from the lads. So I have to say, that the TGV was seen to be far better, from the people I know who have used both. There again, there are those that enjoy coach trips and the lower costs. I used to love the Jolly Boys outings to Margate, Brighton and Sarfend [:)]

Eurolines is fine IF you are young, can take things in your stride and have time on your hands.

My daughter took it last March from Canterbury to Paris where we had arrange to meet and visit the relos. I was already in France care of Mr Easyjet from L'pool. The coach she had to take, came in from London Victoria. She somehow had her seat double booked being the only one in Canterbury to get on. So no room for her. She went and complained at the ticket office and the coach company offered her (at no extra cost) to get on the next coach which was going to Bruxelles then was going to Paris!

So for her original journey which should have lasted 7 to 8 hours at the most ....she arrived at her meeting point some 12 hours on top of that,  later than she should have done...

She is not ready [:(] to do that journey again..... 

Well I've been by coach to both southern Spain and Portugal and although these are rather marathon journeys, London to Poitiers would be a doddle. Leave London mid afternoon, journey break on the ferry, travel through the night and arrive in Poitiers first thing in the morning. All for £68 return.

It's more enjoyable if you like to sit and read (or look out of the window) and it certainly helps if you can sleep on the coach but it's really no problem. I've been lucky and not experienced any delays but double bookings and hold ups aren't unknown when flying, are they?

I stopped considering a coach when I saw how long it (can) take.  My preference is now to opt for a prem fair on TGV.  Book in good time, asap, chose time and day sensibly and it can be achieved for a sensible amount.  Also Eurostar can be well priced if you don't choose busy periods.  Book the journey in two halfs - the Eurostar separately from the TGV.  That way you get chance of the TGV prems (midweek unless holidays usuall best prices) and can travel for £20 if lucky.  Look at 1st class fares also in prems, they are very well priced at times, and if travelling on your own you are likely to get a "solo" seat, very comfortable.  The system will always give you trains routing via Paris if you don't specifiy (and if you try to book from London to wherever in France) - but I would never consider going to Paris, the change at Lille is platform only, lifts or escalators, and no metro to contend with.  The 8.39 from London connects with most TGVs at Lille whichever route, they all seem to leave about midday.  Much pleasanter than flying - for me comfort is as important as cost, and a coach is not that confortable when you have been on it for anything over 5 hours!  And trying to sleep on a coach does not enthrall me, no way to start a holiday I think!

[quote] It's more enjoyable if you like to sit and read (or look out of the

window) and it certainly helps if you can sleep on the coach but it's

really no problem. I've been lucky and not experienced any delays but

double bookings and hold ups aren't unknown when flying, are they?[/quote]

No they happen but it is of no consequence to Vern. It was about NOT flying......

I agree with Judith, it's been a long time since I went by coach on a long journey and going by our Sons description of their journeys, it made me realise that nothing appears to have changed. Having taken the TGV on a few occasions myself, it is certainly a class above.

I agree that if you can get decently priced tickets, the train is the more comfortable option and, nowadays, I usually do as Judith has described. I just wanted to point out that the coach is quite tolerable and always reasonably priced.

I know that nobody's been talking about flying but I was trying to make a relevant point. That is that if you have a bad experience on an overland journey, people say "I'm not doing that again"! When it happens on a journey by air the response seems to be a shrug and acceptance that these things happen sometimes. Nobody ever says that they're not going to fly again because of one bad experience with delays and overbooking!

[quote user="KathyC"]

I agree that if you can get decently priced tickets, the train is the more comfortable option and, nowadays, I usually do as Judith has described. I just wanted to point out that the coach is quite tolerable and always reasonably priced.

I know that nobody's been talking about flying but I was trying to make a relevant point. That is that if you have a bad experience on an overland journey, people say "I'm not doing that again"! When it happens on a journey by air the response seems to be a shrug and acceptance that these things happen sometimes. Nobody ever says that they're not going to fly again because of one bad experience with delays and overbooking!

[/quote]

I think the reason could be that, when flying, the actual journey doesn't take as long. So the discomfort period, excluding checking in, is less.

We have taken every route possible, from UK/France/UK over a 17 year period to be able to compare the different modes of transport available including driving, flying to Paris and train to Bordeaux. As others have stated the coach trips are indeed by far the least expensive but for me the TGV via Lille is the best and most relaxing.