foot passenger to Caen

Ac50

I am thinking of travelling BF Portsmouth to Caen in April.  As my car is in France, I will be travelling as a foot passenger on the overnight sailing.  Does anyone know how easy it is to get from the ferry port to the train station in Caen?  Would be arriving in Caen around 7.30 am on a Sunday morning.  Would prefer to travel Portsmouth to Cherbourg, but if I do that I would only get in at 19h30 on Sunday night, long after the last train has left. Friends have offered to come get me from the ferry port, but I hate asking, especially on a Sunday morning.  Other alternative is to travel Portsmouth to Cherbourg but loose almost a day as ferry only arrives 19h30 Sunday night.

Brittany Ferries offer this advice.

Ouistreham is just 15 kilometres north of Caen.

By Taxi

There are usually taxis waiting outside the terminal for ship arrivals and departures. If there are no taxis, the tourist information desk can call a taxi for you.
Taxi fares from the terminal to Caen train station range from 25€ during the day (7am to 7pm) to 40€ in the evening (7pm to 7am)*.

By Bus

There is a shuttle service between Ouistreham and Caen. This service does not run for the evening ferry arrivals in Ouistreham.

I'm not so sure about the bus not running in the evenings, I thought it connected with all arrivals/departures and am sure I have seen it there in the evenings. Maybe not in the winter months though? There will certainloy be a bus to meet the early morning arrival. The bus runs to/from the station in Caen. As BJ says, you can always get a taxi and the tourist office is manned for all ferry arrivals and departures if you need to call one (despite what BF says, I have seldom seen any waiting). They will also advise on bus services.

As an alternative, what about travelling Portsmouth-Le Havre? That's an overnight service too and the station at Le Havre is not far from the ferry, you could even walk it if you don't have too much luggage.

Thanks for the prompt replies.  Still just not sure how feasible it is.  I have done the crossing many times by car, and dropped friends off at the ferry terminal.  I am sure nothing will be open at 7.30 am on a Sunday morning, especially the tourist office, and not sure how many taxi's will be there either. It is so frustrating now that there is so little choice of ferries and crossings from Portsmouth to Cherbourg.  Can't believe I still miss P&O!!!

You will definitely be able to get the bus at 7.30am on a Sunday, and the tourist office in the ferry terninal will be open so you would be able to get a taxi should you prefer. I can't say how many trains may be running though when you get to the station. Did you consider Portsmouth-Le Havre?

Hi Will,

thanks for that.  I did look at Portsmouth-Le Havre, but I will be going to Carentan.   By train it is only about 35 minutes from Caen, and there is a connection on a Sunday.  If I get into Le Havre I would have to go into Paris and then out again.  It has just made me realise how little choice we now have getting to Cherbourg.  18 months ago I worked in Portsmouth and commuted from Cherbourg every week - I just wouldn't be able to do it now.  I am flying into Heathrow from Canada, but will be in Portsmouth for a friends 60th birthday party on the Friday.  After that, I just want to get back to France as quickly as possible.  As a foot passenger though, I am finding it really difficult.  If I get the fast boat on Sunday from Portsmouth to Cherbourg it arrives after the last train leaves!