Ryanair Priority Boarding

RumziGal

[quote user="RumziGal"][quote user="Chipie"] I'm not knocking Ryanair I think they are brill, where else would I have got 2 return tickets from Liverpool Limoges for £34.38[:P] including £2 each for priority boarding[Www]

[/quote]That's 4 flights.  Did you not have to pay taxes then, or is that the price before the taxes?   Please tell us how to avoid the taxes!  [:)]

Usually it's £10 govt tax per person to leave the UK, plus the £3.50 wheelchair levy, plus another one I can't remember.[/quote]

Oh I am so sorry I miss calculated the fares[:$] It was £34.28 including £2 each for priority boarding

We travelled out on 28th Jan and back again 31st jan ( just before the £10 tax?)

Fares made up of: 

Fare price................................ 4p

Web Priority B..................£.8.00

Taxes, fees & Charges.....£26.24

TOTAL...........................£34.28

[:D]

Chipie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.out-law.com/page-4261

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this case RA siezed the opportunity to slap a £0.50 "Wheelchair" surcharge onto each ticket which has now escalated to £3.50

Some of you might have seen Mr O'L on TV when the airport tax want up earlier this year claiming that he made, on average, roughly £3.00 per passenger, which means therefore that the whole of his profit is now from the wheelchair surcharge !

[quote user="ErnieY"]Chippie, I think perhaps you mean their prices are Brill not that RA are Brill per se, no matter though.

Having experienced over the years numerous airlines, both in UK and abroad, I fail to see just what RA and EJ are actually saving by NOT allocating seats, which is after all, the basis of most peoples complaints about the undignified scrum which ensues from free seating.

There are several ways seats could be allocated and passengers made to queue in strict order of seating, it could be done if the will were there. [/quote]

We have only travelled with Ryanair twice and both flights x 2 were fine no bumpy landings, on time, Just could have done without the scrum in Limoges

What more can you ask?

Chipie

Please, I don't want this to turn into a fight about whether Ryanair are good or not!

They happen to be the only company who fly direct to England from my part of France for most of the year, so they're the only company I use just now.

I'm just quite bemused by the way their website changes so regularly.  It's gone roughly like this:

1. Fare + taxes.

2. Fare + taxes + wheelchair levy.

3. Fare + taxes + wheelchair levy + holiday insurance.

4. Fare + taxes + wheelchair levy + holiday insurance + baggage.

5. Fare + taxes + wheelchair levy + holiday insurance + baggage + priority boarding.

There was something on the news last night about a new ruling making it illegal to advertise e.g. "flights for 1p", they'll have to advertise the minimum that you actually have to pay, i.e. flight + taxes.   Or is it flight+taxes+wheelchair levy?   [:D] 

"I fail to see just what RA and EJ are actually saving by NOT allocating seats."

That is easy, they are saving time.  They say that

people take too long trying to find a particular seat, disturbing

people already seated who then have to get up and block the aisles

delaying other people trying to get to a particular seat. 

Their method

is you take the first seat that comes and sit in it as you would on a bus not wander around

trying to find an aisle/window/emergency exit row seat.  Having flown

KLM a couple of times with a front only entrance plane, I think RA and

EJ might just have a point there.

PS as they are the only airline to fly Rodez - London they ARE  BRILL[:P]

To be honest I am not bothered how much the tax is or the priority boarding, it is the bottom line that I look for.

I booked on the 30th March to travel 7th April returning 14th April,(Blackpool to Girona) yes that is Easter week, the total cost of 3 return flights was £150.00,

about 15 years ago I paid more than that to fly from Barcelona to Manchester one way.(no children that time either...... they were still in the planning stage!)

I love the announcements, my 2 girls understand the spanish explanation better than the very quick Irish one!

I find them perfectly acceptable and use them every week STN -> LRH. I always buy the priority boarding not because I get on the plane quicker but because it allows me a little breathing space when leaving the office in London on Friday and gives me 40 mins more with the kids on a Sunday afternoon not having to drive to LRH 'with my hair on fire' to get there before checkin closes (even more useful now my car has French plates!) - an excellent use of £4 if ever there was one [:)]

What I do find REALLY FUNNY is those people who check in hold baggage then pay the 'priority boarding upgrade' at the desk - Why ???? Even if by some miracle they made it to the very front row of emergency exit seats by the main door, ran off the plane, made it through customs at STN with no delays (impossible IMvHO) they still have to wait for their baggage at the carosel ...... ???? Oh well, gives us regulars something to talk about every week anyway [:D]

I own a 4X4 Chipie.

I drive a tiny Suzuki Alto around the region as it is easier to park. And they do not annoy the locals trying to do such.

Haven't ridden a horse for years.

Here's a sweeping statement for the likes of 'you'...I hope someone with a vomiting child ALSO checks in online, gets priority boarding, and ends up sitting next to you.

The word 'smug' could' not be more appropriate in your case.

See you on your next flight!!!.

[quote user="wen"]

=Here's a sweeping statement for the likes of 'you'...I hope someone with a vomiting child ALSO checks in online, gets priority boarding, and ends up sitting next to you.

=[/quote]

Lovely, but slightly more pleasant than sitting next to you I would imagine.

Anyway, to me it makes no sense to board families with young children first and confine a young child to a small space for a longer time than is necessary.  I think it would be a far better idea to allocate seats for families at check in and call them in last to their reserved seats FREE OF CHARGE 

[quote user="Just Katie "]

I think it would be a far better idea to allocate seats for families at check in and call them in last to their reserved seats FREE OF CHARGE 

[/quote]

Quite right JK.

The real problem with all this is avoiding the 'pond life' and 'families' when you have to travel.  When I come up on the Lotto,or someone bequeeths me a couple of million €'s, then I'll have my own private exec jet sitting on the tarmac waiting to take me wherever ........... none of the former.

I never bother with priority booking, I am quite happy to wait until everyone is on, and virtually every flight my wife and I have had a row of three seats between the two of us.

Must remember that underarm deoderant next time :<)

I have never understood this panic rush to get on the plane. Pushing and shoving to get to the front of the queque.

On Ryanair and other budget airlines, all the seats are the same, it won't take off without you..................... so why bother ?

Pay for priority boarding, you are joking..................

Pilot 

why don,t they go back to the olden days and issue a boarding pass with a seat number, those checking in first can choose their seats, then there would not be the bun fight at the boarding gate, it is so simple, they could still sell priority boarding passes, pre booked, but take them from a seperate lounge.It is not rocket science, it is what used to be the norm.

Like wot I said.....[:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Having experienced over the years numerous airlines, both in UK and abroad, I fail to see just what RA and EJ are actually saving by NOT allocating seats, which is after all, the basis of most peoples complaints about the undignified scrum which ensues from free seating.

There are several ways seats could be allocated and passengers made to queue in strict order of seating, it could be done if the will were there.[/quote]

If you loaded the passengers from both ends starting with those in the middle rows then working outwards the plane would fill up quite efficiently.

HANG ON THOUGH, I'VE SPOTTED A PROBLEM............To the best of my recollection the seats on Mr O'L's planes aren't actually numbered so he'd have to spend €5 to buy some to stick on, oh well, that idea's a non starter then...............[:P]  

[quote user="marmite"]

Slight change in subject...

But anyone actually know if Angouleme Airport is taking UK flights, this year, next year?????????????

Ryanair- rumours have been flying for months now

[/quote]All still just rumours at the moment, more's the pity. I do seem to remember reading a newspaper article around Jan time (I think it was posted also on one of the forums) that said that the various CoC had agreed the name change that Ryanair wanted and that plans were for June 07 flights to start .... unfortunately, since that I've heard nothing more. As a weekly passenger to LRH I check the news section on RA every week and apart from the usual government bashing headlines still nothing :-(

I really don't see what the gripe is? I have only traveled with Ryanair 4 times and each one was perfectly OK. The last one, last week I had the priority boarding, only hand baggage and 15 mins at Stansted to get my train North. We were 20 mins early, I was one of the first off and even the immigration was empty. Made my train no problems. Comming home I was second on, got the seat I wanted and second off and away.

By the way my bag was one of those that has been described as suspect. It was 50 X 40 X 20cm and weighed in at about 8 Kg, 10 is the limit. Just as well it was that size otherwise I would not have been able to take the clothes that I needed to attend the funeral I was going to.

Priority boarding? I will use it again!!!

My sister-in-law and her cousin are comming over later in the year. They checked the low cost airline prices. Easyjet £450 return for the 2. Ryanair £80 for the 2. Who do you think they opted for, not Easymoney sorry jet.

Ryanair may not be the best, but they provide a cheap, efficient and, pretty well, on time service. We have had to collect from Toulouse several times and we have yet to collect on time --- Flybe and Easyjet????? peut etra?

Basically you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. If you don't like a service then don't use it, but for crying out loud why all the fuss?

I have no probs with Ryan Air, or Easy Jet or whatever. Just those louts willing to shove a small toddler aside and hurt him in order to get up the steps of an aircraft. A mother and child are 'pond life'?. Gardian, such an 'english' comment to make. Where can I pin your medal for gallantry...got a space between your legs?. Would my knee fit as well??.

Wen

Gardian used the word "and", not the word "are". He was also talking about families, which I agree could include a mother and child, but how you extrapolate "avoiding families and pond life" to mean a mother and child are pond life I really cannot understand.