Ryanair Priority Boarding

RumziGal

I've never used this, I'm just a watcher.   Ryanair used to let people with children on first, didn't they?   I hear no mention of that now when boarding, there's just the call for passengers who have paid for priority boarding, no mention of children at all.

Flying over on Sunday I'd say that the priority queue was nearly half as long as the non-priority queue.  I wonder if the priority numbers will grow until it becomes the norm?

Not complaining, just observing with bemusement how they add to their profits.   

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too noticed this when I flew with them last week, no call for families with young children, just priority boarding.(which as you say was nearly as long as the "commoners"[blink]........It made no difference, they wasted their few euros as the airport was so hot (blackpool) the staff opened 2 gates and we were one of the first on the plane. I always board the back doors , so whilst everyone is queueing up the front steps and jostling for a seat  we have our luggage stowed and butties at the ready!

[quote user="RumziGal"]Not complaining, just observing with bemusement how they add to their profits.  

[/quote]

Do they charge E9.90 for putting any luggage in the hold, or have BMI Baby got the first jump on that cunning wheeze? [:)]

Can't remember how much, but yes, you pay for each item of luggage that gets checked in.   It might be 5 euros for each flight, so 10 for a return?

I'm waiting for the day they start checking hand luggage.  People are still taking some huge bags on, and some look suspiciously heavy!

"People are still taking some huge bags on, and some look suspiciously heavy!"

Well they are supposed to fit inside those gadgets nr. check-in and I suppose they do but as you say, RG what about the weight?

The problem is you need strong arms and a hefty set of  muscles to be able to lift up these bags and put them in the overhead lockers.[blink]

I don't think I've ever seen anyone even trying to put their hand luggage in one of those weighing racks.   I was thinking about them because I saw one recently that actually had a set of scales underneath it.   I think it was in Fez, but nobody used it there either!

They were also letting people through with bottles of water and goodness knows what else, unlike Europe.

[quote user="RumziGal"]I wonder if the priority numbers will grow until it becomes the norm?[/quote]Yes, then they'll probably come up with another charge for "Priority Priority" and start all over again.....[:'(]

To aid with "managing" baggage I have a lightweight coat with lots of BIG pckets, I've never seen anyone bodily weighed at checkin..........so if you see a 50's something bloke, wearing a coat out of season, and struggling to stay upright, it might just be me.....[;-)]

If you are traveling without luggage the the RA booking engine automatically adds the online check in / priority boarding option to your booking. It isn't always obvious that they are making a charge for this. You actually have to go back and modify the detailsto delete the option to avoid paying extra. I'm sure a lot of people don't see this when booking and end up paying for it without realising.

Hi

We travelled Ryanair back in November from Liverpool to Bergerac and we only had hand luguage so were able to check-in online which also gave us priority boarding, This we did within the 24-2 hour slot. On arrival at the airport we went straight to passport control and then on to the gate at the gate there was an arrow and sign saying priority boarding this guided us to an area in front of the existing queue of passengers, I was no. 2 and my OH was no. 3 when it was time to board we were led out first in a very orderly fashion and we were first on the plane,

On our return from Bergerac, as we entered the departure lounge that was pretty full I could not see and indicators for prority boarding, to our amazement the stewardess at the far side of the lounge near to the gate shouted to us were we priority boarders and called us through the crowded lounge to the front and we boarded first again

Wonderful we thought we'll do this again

In the new year Ryanair must have decided that priority boarding could be a money spinner and open it up to anyone that pays £2!

On our next trip this time Liverpool to Limoges, in Liverpool there were 20 - 30 priority boarders and a stampede to get a seat and at Limoges every body rushed forward when they asked for priority boarders!! another sampede followed for seats!!

I think that Ryanair should only allow a certain amount of priority boarders per flight as selling to many makes a mockery of the whole idea 

Chipie

I'm really disappointed to hear this. It's bad news for one parent traveling with more than one small child. In the past my daughter has been able to ensure that she and her children can all sit in one row - now it looks as though she won't be able to do that even if she pays extra.

Hoddy

Hello

I think it must depend on the airport as I was called forward for my last flight with Ryanair  with my son and we boarded after the priority but before the rest of the commoners!  I flew with easyjet this week though and we were boarded before the priority lot, there was also no charge per bag and no limit on the weight of hand luggage at all, will be going with easyjet from now on whenever I can.

Panda

Yes, we experienced this last December flying Ryanair from Girona to Dublin and returning the same route. I was furious to put it lightly. We were travelling with our 2 little ones and a stroller, late at night, and during the resulting usual stampede up the aircraft steps my 2 year old and myself were pushed aside and over.

Why do people behave like migrating wildebeeste when boarding these planes?

Also, 2 people in wheelchairs had to battle themselves as they were not boarded early either. When one of us flys without the kids we are happy to wait in line, but when you have small children ('pests' I believe we are called) boarding us parents early at least gets us out of everyones way.

I also noticed those smug-looking priority payers were no further ahead at either Girona or Dublin as they were only let through about one minute before the rest of us. A waste of money.

[quote user="wen"]I also noticed those smug-looking priority payers were no further ahead at either Girona or Dublin as they were only let through about one minute before the rest of us. A waste of money.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I can't stand thees type of sweeping statements, we were given priority boarding as a perk for checking-in on line, which in turn made the checking in queues shorter for the likes of you! with comments like that you probably sneer at people in 4x4's and/or ride horses

Chipie

Wake up RyanAir! Why not charge people corkage for carrying on their own drink or food. £5.00 sounds good. Also free seats in the departure lounge - whose idea is than? another £5.00 per seat. What about a frequent flyers surcharge... 

Why not charge people for not using their service.

I mean, if all they want to do is sit around at home not using a perfectly good service then they should be made to pay for it.

Let's say 7€ for any week you don't fly with Ryanair but you will also be able to buy frequent non-flyer exemptions 10 at a time for 80€.

I'm not knocking Ryanair I think they are brill, where else would I have got 2 return tickets from Liverpool Limoges for £34.38[:P] including £2 each for priority boarding[Www]

My biggest gripe is the attitude of some of the passengers with regards to the unreseasonable stampede endured by all

Chipie

[quote user="Chipie"]

I'm not knocking Ryanair I think they are brill, where else would I have got 2 return tickets from Liverpool Limoges for £34.38[:P] including £2 each for priority boarding[Www]

[/quote]

That's 4 flights.  Did you not have to pay taxes then, or is that the price before the taxes?   Please tell us how to avoid the taxes!  [:)]

Usually it's £10 govt tax per person to leave the UK, plus the £3.50 wheelchair levy, plus another one I can't remember.

Chippie, I think perhaps you mean their prices are Brill not that RA are Brill per se, no matter though.

Having experienced over the years numerous airlines, both in UK and abroad, I fail to see just what RA and EJ are actually saving by NOT allocating seats, which is after all, the basis of most peoples complaints about the undignified scrum which ensues from free seating.

There are several ways seats could be allocated and passengers made to queue in strict order of seating, it could be done if the will were there.