Liquids in sealed bags - whats that all about?

Just returned from a week away.

Flew to stansted then off through for our next flight, duty free, bought some aftershave.

Return to stansted then through for our flight back here.

Coming back through I had my aftershave confiscated. They were very busy (40 min queue) so didnt mess about and went on our way.

Asked an assistant where I bought the aftershave from - how come you sell things that can get taken away from you coming through, she said itheir products had all been checked!! after my reply she said she wasnt a manager.

Asked someone else and they replyed that they couldnt bring yogurt to work, oh well that makes it all square then!!!

Now, ok its security an all that, no problem, but if ithad been in a sealed bag they said it would have been ok, but once through I can take it out of the bag again, I put this to one person and they replyed - well the gouvernment aren't doing enough,

Anyone know of a site on all this crap.

By the way, Stansted are now not providing these bags at the check points.

Its different almost every airport you fly to/from. Depends on the staff, time of day etc etc.

So far in the last 12 months I have flown in/out of Europe 30+ times.

Rule of thumb buy nothing take nothing then you will loose nothing.

USA/Canada even worse!!!

You are allowed to take I think it is 100ml of liquid in the plastic bags. Bags must be shown to security staff and not just put in your hand baggage.

I travel 1 toothbrush 1 small tube of toothpaste and that is it.

My wife bought some expensive perfume last year going through Ansterdam only to have it confiscated in Canada boarding an internal flight. She promptly opened it then poured it away in the bin. Childish yes but it stops over zealous security staff from benifiting the travellers misfortune.

Check out

http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/about/news_press/travel_news/floatingnews/news6.htm

[quote user="jxedwards"]

Its different almost every airport you fly to/from. Depends on the staff, time of day etc etc.

So far in the last 12 months I have flown in/out of Europe 30+ times.

Rule of thumb buy nothing take nothing then you will loose nothing.

USA/Canada even worse!!!

You are allowed to take I think it is 100ml of liquid in the plastic bags. Bags must be shown to security staff and not just put in your hand baggage.

I travel 1 toothbrush 1 small tube of toothpaste and that is it.

My wife bought some expensive perfume last year going through Ansterdam only to have it confiscated in Canada boarding an internal flight. She promptly opened it then poured it away in the bin. Childish yes but it stops over zealous security staff from benifiting the travellers misfortune.

Check out

http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/about/news_press/travel_news/floatingnews/news6.htm

[/quote]

Yeah but once past the security there is nothing to stop you emptying the contents of the bag, doesn't make sense.

My mom came over from cornwall the other day and the clotted cream she was bringing for me in her hand luggage was confiscated! We had to eat the scones that she brought in the hold luggage au naturel! What clot decided that clotted cream was a threat to aviation then?

You should have seen all the folks at Luton last week then all queued up with their plastic bags with bits of toothpaste and shampoo bottles in them. Don't they realise you can buy the same products in Benidorm or the Algarve!! I was rather miffed at having to remove my trainers and yet loads of other folks had big shoes and boots on and they didn't plus a woman with flip flops had to take hers off too. The best thing thing is to put everything in your main luggage apart from breakables and not bother with gifts/toiletries that are liquid,paste or gel.

As for clotted cream, the perfect hiding place for an explosive I would have thought so no wonder they confiscated it.Terrorists don't come in any standard shape or size these days.

[quote user="Val_2"]

As for clotted cream, the perfect hiding place for an explosive I would have thought so no wonder they confiscated it.Terrorists don't come in any standard shape or size these days.

[/quote]

West Country terrorists, the mind boggles.......................................[:D]   Mad Scientist

[quote]

Yeah but once past the security there is nothing to stop you emptying the contents of the bag, doesn't make sense.

[/quote]

The point about the bags is that if all the liquids/creams/whatever are in one see through place it makes it much easier for the x.ray operator to check for other bottles rather than check every bag that has a liquid container in it. Being in a see through bag makes it easier for them to see what you have.  Doesn't matter what you do with it when its been checked. 

I always set off the metal detectors when I'm very careful not to carry metal.  Twice now I've been taken off to a room and asked to strip down to underpants and still set the detector off.  Now I wasn't going to get naked for no-one (well..maybe for... no, no) seems my shins set the things off, and no, I don't have any pins or anything in them.

Once past security you can buy brown liquid called whiskey. This fluid is contained by means of a heavy glass container. Not many people know this but the material when broken has many sharp and jagged edges. Some say this could be used as a weapon. I don't believe it myself.

I think security have it correctly, search all those 65 plus ladies travelling to Malta with their walking sticks packed full of explosives!!!!

And as for the clotted cream, should be made illegal!!!

[quote user="jxedwards"]

Once past security you can buy brown liquid called whiskey. This fluid is contained by means of a heavy glass container. Not many people know this but the material when broken has many sharp and jagged edges. Some say this could be used as a weapon. I don't believe it myself.

I think security have it correctly, search all those 65 plus ladies travelling to Malta with their walking sticks packed full of explosives!!!!

[/quote]

What exactly IS the rule regarding walking sticks ? potential lethal weapon or necessary medical / physical aid?

AFAIK there is no rule preventing the carriage of (screened) walking sticks.....

As for the the background to all this, it's best not to even try and believe there is any logic behind how you are screened, what you are allowed to carry, and especially why you can have stuff confiscated off you at screening and then buy the self same item once airside.

Whilst there is some credibility to some of the screening it is mostly done so that the politicians can cover their six o'clock, so to speak, and it will not get better any time soon..[:(]

Best policy is don't think, don't ask, just adopt the position[:'(]

That security lark is really a lark innit?!...

OK it is needed but I wish the people manning it had some common sense....

Son&Heir has arrived back last Friday, on his work leave from Yerevan, Armenia, via Manchester airport and brought us back some caviar in glass jars and very nice it was too. Nowt was said to him when he went through security in any airport he's been through on the journey. He wants to return with the said jars (now empty of caviar! yummy that was!) filled up with chilly jam I have made this afternoon... Wonder howzat gonna go through... Pretty explosive chillies are [:D] !!

Wow, If he got the stuff through Manchester security in his handbaggage I'm amazed, since Manchester security has a bit of a reputation in the industry for being, err "thorough".  I wouldn't bet on the jam getting back OK in handbaggage, he might not be so lucky next time.

I don't think the problem is always the people manning the screening ( though some need a lesson in Customer Service), they are only obeying orders [;-)]

[quote user="jxedwards"]

[/quote]

I’m quite partial to a drop of clotted cream with jam on bread or scones – when I was little it was considered the height of luxury to have this as Sunday tea… but I’m a Devonshire maid so maybe I’m bias?! [Www]

"I wouldn't bet on the jam getting back OK in handbaggage, he might not be so lucky next time."

Quite right Stefan

Last time I flew to France I overheard a French lady bemoaning the fact that her expensive jam from Harrods had been confiscated. If she had waited and bought it in the Harrods in departure lounge at LGW then she would have been allowed to take it onboard.

As you say, you need to understand the system and obey orders.

Good link ErnieY, I suppose 'knee-jerk reaction' sort of sums up the whole airline security attitude. Meanwhile - why I didn't get my clotted cream when a friend was able to bring back a jumbo tin of black treacle through one of the London airports? (and I thought the French were insonsistent!)

Very recently did a trip to the US.

Going out, at Gatwick, we were asked all sorts of questions about what was in the cases and, as normal, the hand luggage screening was pretty thorough.

On the return, there were no questions, just told to take our suitcases and hand them in over there. The screening of the hand luggage was low key, the only problem, which normally occurs, the OH set the alarm off. Having removed all jewellery and shoes still set the alarm off.

We have Samsonite cases with combination locks. On collecting the cases I noticed that one was not set at the numbers I normally set it at.

At home, unlocked the case and inside was a leaflet saying that they had opened the case and tough luck if the lock was broken! Which it is not.

On the return from a visit to Cuba one of the cases had been plundered (but in Cuba or the UK?). They had removed 2 bottles of rum and the chargers for the video and digital camera. I reasoned that, as there are 1000 different combination, if they spent 1 second to each number they could have it opened in 15 minutes. However, I am now wondering if there is another very quick method of opening Samsonite cases and, if so, is there any point in locking them.

As far as US is concerned they have the (self given) right to open any cases at any time and if that involves breaking open or cutting off locks then that is what they will do.

You can buy special padlocks to which US securtiy have a master key so they can properly open and relock.

I can't recall what they are called but if and when I do I'll post it.

About combination locks I have no idea how they got in, maybe they have some reformed safe crackers working for them...............[:D]

EDIT: That didn't take long.................!

http://www.bags123.com/index.php/mainpages/item/?ref=froogle&i=34